Cyclone dust bin sensor

Dave Black

I, like several (at least) have a Bill Pentz design cyclone. What do you guys use to tell you when the bin is full. I had the bin fill at least 3 times in the past month and blow dust all over the shop. I saw on Bill's site there is a plan to make a sensor from a solar powered motor with a fan blade, He also said that you could use a regular photocell and christmas light bulb in the pipe right above the bin to trigger an alarm or light or whatever. Any thoughts?

Well Dave I just look at the clear flex hose that connects the dust bin to the cyclone. When I see chips start to constantly swirl around in it I know it's time to empty the dust bin. When that happens I usualy have about 5" of empty barrel left.

My cyclone (clear-vu) unit -- cyclone, dust bin, filters are located in a closet.
For noise abatement.. I screwed up and let it overfill and the center of the filters were packed (really packed) with waste. What a mess -- lots of work clearing them.

So I also would be interested in a light type system that I could put outside the closet or a doorbell noise maker.

If you find a system that works please let me know..

Please!

Paul

While I never fully had mine setup, my plan was to have the collection can on a mechanical scale. That way I could empty it before it got heavier than I wanted to lift. But, never got there so don't know how effective that would've been overall.

I forgot to mention that its in another room, I can see through mine, its polyethylene plastic so its translucent like a milk jug, but its still in another room often behind a bunch of junk so the take a look method doesn't work well for me. I am thinking about trying the photocell method.

While I never fully had mine setup, my plan was to have the collection can on a mechanical scale. That way I could empty it before it got heavier than I wanted to lift. But, never got there so don't know how effective that would've been overall.

I read of someone who tried that but if they are planing the drum will be light when its full and if you are sanding or cutting it will be heavy when not even full so the scale method is relative to what you are doing.

Thanks Dave====

That looks like it is right on --

Now to get it done along with about 20 other things to do...:rofl:

Thanks -- well done

paul

I bought an industrial bin-level sensor on Ebay. It uses a small motor to turn a paddle. When the paddle sees an obstruction it causes the motor to twist on the shaft a little and trip a switch. I have an industrial flashing indicator light/beeper that it sets off which is loud enough that I eventually hear it going off even with hearing protection and haven't overfilled it since.