SketchUp Rookie

matt fonner

Ok, so I too am looking to make a computer desk but cannot find plans for what I have in my head. I will attempt to make some using sketchUp. I just loaded it up and was wondering where you might suggest I start.
I have a sketch on paper that i would snap a picture and post it here, but noone seems to know where the camera is ...:doh:
What I'm shooting for is a craftsman style desk with a hutch. Legs flared out at the top and bottoms and no drawer in the center. The hutch will leave the monitor exposed and have 2 towers flanking either side with a top stretched across. They will each have 2 drawers and a devided cubby above with a door to hide the stuff inside.
Any help is greatly needed and much appreciated.

Dave,
I've seen your posts many times and you seem to be THE Sketchup expert. I've tried many times to use Sketchup, but the results are always extremely basic with weird faults. I now just use the warehouse to get a plan print it out and modify it with pencil. I can't seem to print it in the standard top side front configuration or with measurements as I was taught in high school drafting. In fact I can draft faster than using Skethup. What is this PM you mentioned and could I have a copy?:dunno:

I've been fooling with SU for some time, and I'm needing to learn more, I'm the limiting factor :eek:

I'd really like to learn, Dave can I get a PM too :D :thumb:

Dan, thanks. We'll see if we can get you going on SketchUp although the next week or so for me will be kind of busy learning about how to service our new anesthesia machines. After that I should have some time.

Don, thank you.

Chuck, download the free one first. I'm not one to stand in the way of anyone spending their money but If I were you, I would try it out for free first. Most folks find it does everything they need. Go to this link and click on the huge blue button in the upper right corner of the screen.

Stu, I'd be delighted to help you get on to the next step...

...although the next week or so for me will be kind of busy learning about how to service our new anesthesia machines. After that I should have some time. ;)

The next week or so for me will be kind of busy learning about how to service our new anesthesia machines. After that I should have some time.
:rofl::rofl:

Thank you Vaughn. :D

Dave, you are the greatest and my learning curve is slowly inching upward. How about burning a DVD on how to set up SketchUp for woodworkers? By that I mean setting all the preferences, how to choose stuff from the warehouse and modify it, etc. I have most trouble with trimming and extending.

Yes, I have looked at other sites that propose to do this, but there is lots that is assumed. Maybe it's my CAD background that is screwing me up!

And every time someone asks about SketchUp you reply that you will PM them. Very generous of you, but very frustrating for me! I wanted to learn something from just lurking! You are a great guy but I hate to be bugging you about simple stuff that I should know or be able to figure out.

I'd be happy to take a beginner type project, from a woodworking teacher's POV, and ask questions about how to draw it. If you provided the answers with demo's on the DVD, we would have an example to work from for other projects. Plan to charge a few bucks for your trouble. For the first one, I'll donate my time and effort.

If and when you have time.... Might be more time efficient that answering individual questions that are frequently asked and it would provide a basis for other questions down the road.

Learn your new equipment. We will all be waiting here when you return.

Wow, PMs everywhere... poor Dave. ;)

With Sketchup, I found that one of my early "aha" moments was when I learned about components, and soon after realized that if I made "everything a component" as I sketched, then things seemed to go FAR smoother.

(of course, not everything needs to be a component, but early on, it made things easier)

I think the next step for me is to learn more about ...
Err, I forget the proper word. I've seen it on Dave's tutorials, where instead of drawing an entire component, he draws half of it, and then mirrors/joins the result. It seemed counterintuitive at first, but Dave spoke of it reducing file sizes and other such.

There's always some new technique... And like all things if you don't spend time at it, it 's easy to lose what you learn.
...art

Hi guys, I'm going through this learning curve myself and was wondering if someone can tell me if I'm able to copy/save my drawing so I can post a photo of it here to ask questions about it. I don't seem to see that option in the software. It only saves it as a SU file??? Is this correct?

Tom

one thing i like about sketchup is that it has an autosave feature that has saved my butt (can i say butt?) on more than a few occasions. also, i find that if i make all my parts components, it makes life easier for the cut list program that i have.

Wow, Dave I didn't mean to get you buried like this ... :rolleyes:
Sounds like you could open some classes!

I saw a mention of tutorials. Have you some links for them? Maybe we can get going with some of those.

I'm in the same boat as everybody else, it seems.

I bought SketchUp for Dummies, but I'm starting to think I don't qualify as a Dummie yet.

Also tried the video tutorials, but can't stand the nasally Valley Girl who narrates them.

PM me! Please!