SketchUp Rookie

Brian, are you sort of CAD literate?

I found that really screwed me up. I've had to forget nearly everything I ever learned about AutoCAD.

Today, however I discovered something really cool. Go to View, Toolbars, and click on View. You get 6 little views of a house. Click on the view of your daring that you want, iso, top, front, right, back, or left. That sure cleared up the orbit thing for me. I still orbit but now not so much. A quick click and I get to something I recognize.

I started a crib sheet on how to set up and use Sketch-up for woodworking. If you have some drafting experience, that might be helpful. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Also, Dave Richards did some tutorials for Fine Woodworking. Might go to that site and see what you can find.

Tell me where you are having a problem. I think I can get you to 'dummy' status. Start with downloading Sketch-Up and go from there.

Speaking of Dummies...

The other day I was working on a house floorplan, struggling, and came across this website: http://www.aidanchopra.com/tableofcontents/chapter-4

He has a whole series of 4-7minute videos. Totally changed the way I approached doing a floorplan. And it introduced me to the fun of using Camera->Parallel-Projection and Camera ->Standard-View ->Top to work totally in 2D first.

Now to be sure, this is completely focused on buildings and floorplans, but he does have other videos, and I thought the fundamentals were good as well.

No whiny narrator either, by the way.

...art

Shopclass:Sketchup for Woodworkers

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/ has
Shopclass:Sketchup for Woodworkers Part 1 and Part 2 available for immediate download or you can order it on CD. The download is about $5 cheaper. Robert Lang is the instructor. There is a brief preview available for each one.
I downloaded Part 1 and looked through it. It seems very good. I plan on getting Part 2 after I go through the first one thoroughly. It might be worth checking out.

Larry