Seed Starting Table

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Not sure this rates being in a 'showcase', but since I made it, thought I would post a picture.

All made out of 100% borg kilndried 2x4's... (well, except for the bottom of the seed tray, that's borg 1/4" ply) :eek:

Jointed and planed flat, and glued up. Joinery on the apron is rudimentary at best, just some dowels AND pocket holes. This project let me to ask the question 'how do you make your mortises'... I think I should have used MxT instead, but what the heck...

2 parts, the table, and the seed try and light stand.

No finish on the table, Seed tray is coated in fiberglass polyester resin, for water proofing..

The light is a 4 bulb SunBlaze high output flourescent.

attachment.php

Attachments

• seedstartingtable.jpg
    seedstartingtable.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 94
Interesting thing here. Last Spring I went to HD to buy some 4' GroLight bulbs. They actually had them behind the counter, and I had to sign for them. Seems they're a big item here with the MJ grow-op folks.

I waited for several weeks, but the ATF guys never showed up...:D

I used to use 2 regular shop light fixtures and normal flourescents. These are supposed to put out way more light using less 'lectricity. They are the long thin T5's...

Like most other specialty stuff, I just ordered them online. A little pricey, but it's a very well put together fixture with mirrored reflectors, etc...

We have about a 90 day growing season here, so if I want to grow from seed, I need to start early. I's probably easier and cheaper buying the plants at the nursery, but I really like the whole process of starting my own plants...

Heck, if it was all about easy, why do your own woodworking, right? :thumb:

Nice table there Brent. I got stuck in and made something not quiet similar but for seeds as one of my first basement shop projects. I built a bunch of shelving from borg lumber and wrapped it up in thick poly made a door out of poly and stood it on the deck. The poly was creating a sort of atrium effect.

Never put real good legs on the bottom to keep it up figured flat against the wall was A ok.

Started my seedlings inside then transfered my babies out into the shelving.

Came home from being out all day to find my whole shelving atrium spread eagled on the deck and the seedlings all destroyed. :(

Boy i was upset after having babied those things for so long. They were just at the point of planting out.

Would like to try again but this time i will follow your cue.

Best of luck with the seedlings this year.:thumb:

Hey Brent not sure if you know about these but i know its what all the nursery's use to help the process along
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&cat=2,44713&p=44602

Last edited: