planer flat bed

Julio Navarro

Here's the result of the glue up question posted earlier.

Targeted result: Minimize snipe and provide a longer, flat bed for planer.

I used a 1/8" whiteboard glued on to a 1/2" birch ply panel. I constructed a sort of tortion like rib support at each side of the planer in/out feed side using 1/2" birch panel on 2" aluminum screen enclosure rib then a bottom panel of 1/2" birch. The 2" extruded frame plus the 1/2" ply panel is precisely the height of the planer center bed. This was my first reason for using the alum frame but then I realized that the extrusion made it very straight in all directions.

The base is 3/4" oak ply and is screwed to the steel base (contractor saw base)

The planer is leveled and bolted to the 3/4" oak ply.

A level placed on the table has no clearance anywhere along its length. The bed is flat. I will be watching the 1/8" fiberboard glued to the 1/2" ply to make sure it does not warp. As you can see I bolted the bed to the alumn ribs at 2" OC in 3 rows. Hopefully this will keep it from moving or warping.

jsw_dscf1191.jpg

jsw_dscf1192.jpg

jsw_dscf1193.jpg

jsw_dscf1194.jpg

Unforseen results: The duct for the dust hood needs to be flexible or expandable to allow for raising and lowering the cutter head. I hadnt used the planer since I made the hood and did not plan for the raising of the head. Live and learn.

Last edited:
looks good julio! how does it work?

Dont know yet Todd, when I lowered the cutter head the duct seperated at the trunk, so I need to devise some way for the down duct to go up and down, but I will use it today for some drawer fronts, I will let you know.

Dont know yet Todd, when I lowered the cutter head the duct seperated at the trunk, so I need to devise some way for the down duct to go up and down, but I will use it today for some drawer fronts, I will let you know.

hey julio i know you like 6 in pipe, and its good but in this case to help in your movement problem i would sugesst using some flex and possiblly moving it to a offside to get your movment the flex pipe can be compressed some but the best way to accomplish what you have going is to have it offset form being dirctly above it,, kinda like your arm you can raise over your head from the side but it dont go up much straight down your side:) just abit of redneck engineering theroy:D

i would sugesst using some flex and possiblly moving it to a offside to get your movment

I think youre absolutely right Larry, Youve made a good point I have 4" flex at every other machine so why not the planer and move it to the side a bit so I can reach around to pick up from the outfeed.

I'll do that today, infact.