Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 state fair entry design

2010 state fair entry design

only one this year, no caravan of entries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 fair table.jpg   2010 fair table b.jpg   2010 fair table c.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    only one this year, no caravan of entries.
    Whats the scale on it? I like the looks of it.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dan can you post the SKP file. I just feel that you can do better. It doesn't get me excited like your clock.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

here's the skp file. the height is around 22 inches, the top is about 32 inches square.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    benedictione omnes bene

Dan, I agree with Don. You can do better.

I think the curved edges of the top clash with the angular cloud lift edges on the aprons and stretchers. Why don't you try carrying that curve to the bottom edges of those pieces? Maybe use that same curve and corner detail from the top on the horizontal members. And maybe echo that long curve in the slots. You could even use that same detail on the top edges of the stretchers.

The legs need something, too. Put a little bit of a curve near the bottom so the foot is smaller. Make the profile something like the Blacker House chair legs without the recess. Maybe bring that curve down to about 1/8" from the floor and make a foot to help lighten the table some.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Dan how about sides that are hinged up to form a sorta serving tray effect. With nice solid brass inlaid hinges. Sort of a tray table with legs. here is a picture of the tray i just dont mean the folding legs more your version.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tray table with folding sides.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	43253
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 03-09-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: modfiy post and add picture
    cheers

i'll probably fair out the angles a bit, and possibly rearrange the slots in the top a bit. the legs will have decorative plugs at the top and bottom, i just didn't add them to the drawing. i may narrow up the bottom braces too.
    benedictione omnes bene

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dan, I think that if you taper the legs and make the aprom shorter with onli 1 slot it would look better. Also the height of the table is wrong.standard heights for tables (this it the height to the bottom of the top) Coffee table 17, end table 19 and dining table are 28. This one is 23 1/2 which is no where. Try loosing 4 1/2" on the leg height and shortining the apron. See how it looks with a single slot in a 4" apron. and taper the legs.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I agree that the shape of the top doesn't compliment the rest of the design elements. Separately, they are nice, but they don't seem to work with each other. Decorative plugs would seem to amplify the leg design, but make it that much more incongruous with the top.

IMHO, you're headed in a couple of great-looking directions, but they're not leading to the same destination.

My 2˘
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

well, here is the redesign. dave, the angles were easier to draw for me, i plan on cutting the angled areas at a curve, just have to find a diameter i like. the slots are now what i originally intended. i had given up on them yesterday, and went with something easier to draw. i have also thinned the upper and lower stretchers heightwise. the bottoms of the legs will have about a quarter inch chamfer at the bottoms. i was thinking blacker house recess, but i thought it wouldn't look quite right, with the lower stretchers. i still may thin the lower stretchers a bit more, and reshape to be more like the edges of the table. don, i don't know how you measured the height, but this table is only 21 3/4" tall. for the height, i had borrowed on the research i had done for my friend's table. after checking about 25-30 side tables, ranging from antique to modern, i had found that they range from roughly 17-25 inches, and i figured that this is a good midrange height. if i were to take away 4 3/4" in height, it would top out at 17 1/4", which is lower than the height of the seat of my dining chairs. this table is roughly the same height as the side table i'm building for my friend. as the legs are only 1 1/2" square, for me, tapering is not an option. during writing this post i have redesigned the lower stretchers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 fair table4a.jpg   2010 fair table4b.jpg   2010 fair table4c.jpg   2010 fair table4d.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene