W.I.P. - TV stand

Bryan Cowing

For a few weeks, been building a TV stand, similar to one Swmbo seen at a local furniture store. Measures 33H x 18W x 56L , using red oak and red oak plys. I am almost ready for stain. Built on the fly, and I had a few problems to overcome. Had to cut a lip on the 7/8" thick doors, base 1" too narrow.:huh: I almost used all the one 3/4"- 4x8 sheet of ply. A few pics.
IMG_2011-1.JPG8.5 high base. Took a bun foot pattern and added a few inches to it. That's so Swmbo can get to vac under it.;)

IMG_2056.JPGbead detail. Was supposed to be 1 bead, but a mistake in bit height had me cutting another pass lower to rescue the pieces:D

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG 20" wide top! I added 3.5" oak band on the remaining ply I had.

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG1/4" oak ply screwed on, removable for spray finishing

IMG_2064.JPGtest assembly, shelves, top, back, base are all removable for finishing. I am using a metal clip I bought to hold the top and base on. Cutting a biscuit slot on the inside of the oak frame for the clip to fit into.

IMG_2065.JPGdoor lip cut, wrap around hinges

Very nice work Bryan, you always an inspiration to me.

What made you screw on the back? Are you going to make a hole/slot in the rear for running cables through from the reciever/dvd to the tv or are you going to go through the top with one of them desk type hole covers.

I like the detail on the legs and the rail. Good to hear that a guy like you also makes mistakes, makes me feel human.;)

That door lip is a nice touch. :thumb: Whats going to hold them closed ...friction or magnets.

How would you say your cost of material turned out versus store retail price of the unit you saw.

Last edited:
Very nice work Bryan, you always an inspiration to me.

What made you screw on the back? Are you going to make a hole/slot in the rear for running cables through from the reciever/dvd to the tv or are you going to go through the top with one of them desk type hole covers.
I like the detail on the legs and the rail. Good to hear that a guy like you also makes mistakes, makes me feel human.;)

That door lip is a nice touch. :thumb: Whats going to hold them closed ...friction or magnets.

How would you say your cost of material turned out versus store retail price of the unit you saw.
I'll bore 3 - 1.25" dia holes in the mid of 1/4" panel for all the wire for 3 components.

Back panel removable for ease of spraying. No bounce back in your face. ..Hinges are self closing.. Store tv stand is $1200, mine under $200. Here is the store TV stand we looked at, pic from their website.
52740.jpg

Last edited:
Store was $1200+13% tax, mine under $200. Here is the store TV stand we looked at, pic from their website.
View attachment 43254

Very nice. I'm sure yours is much better built thant the store model, too.

The doors on the store model are interesting. They look like maybe mica panels put together like stained glass would be. A nice departure from the usual raised panel doors, but beyond the scope of what I'd be capable of, I'm sure.

I really like the design of yours.

Bryan I actually like your interpertation of the cabinet better. Yours to me has more of a custom look. Nice crisp clean lines.:thumb: The one in the picture from the website looks like something I would see in walmart.

Very nice. I'm sure yours is much better built thant the store model, too.

The doors on the store model are interesting. They look like maybe mica panels put together like stained glass would be. A nice departure from the usual raised panel doors, but beyond the scope of what I'd be capable of, I'm sure.

I really like the design of yours.
Doors have approx 3x3 slate tiles glued into them.

Thanks for the info Bryan, I asked the question to make the point that we can all make our own for much less than the junk from the east.

Yours is real wood, when i see that camo type smoky stain on furniture it reminds me of Walmart. They trying to give the impression of a good wood when its not.

Hey my costs would be $400 cause i would have to make it twice to get it to look like yours Bryan. Thanks for the tip on the removable panel.:thumb:

Thanks for the info Bryan, I asked the question to make the point that we can all make our own for much less than the junk from the east.

Hey my costs would be $400 cause i would have to make it twice to get it to look like yours Bryan. Thanks for the tip on the removable panel.:thumb:

Rob you should know that your not making it twice. The first one is a prototype!

It looks very nice so far, Bryan. Looking forward to seeing it with the finish on it.

(You're gonna spray paint it purple, right?) :rofl: