Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going on here?? Unbelieveable!!

DSM, IA

Angry What is going on here?? Unbelieveable!!

A man has been awarded $$$ after he cut off his fingers with his table saw....Unbelieveable!!

Click for story here

I hope this ruling doesn't put an end to lower end entry level TS that many people buy, myself included, when they get started in wworking.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    So I guess there saying that if he would have bought a sawstop he wouldn't have been injured, sounds to me that he made the choice not to buy the sawstop so therefore it was realy his fault. What every happened to the term "Buyer Beware"
    Last edited by Don Baer; 03-09-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

North West Indiana
    Look at a ladder, all of those labels come from lawsuits or possible lawsuits. When a person puts a hot cup of coffee between their legs and gains money in court, I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Does it make me happy, nope. This guy didn't have a dad like mine, he would feel bad for me, but to blame it on the manufacturer when the saw performed as expected and win money, I would be walking around with my dad's boot up my butt.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

4. #4 left with "personal responsibilty"....

Escondido, CA
    When irresponsibility is rewarded, it is hard to teach responsibility.

Reno NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post left with "personal responsibilty"....
    Closely followed by common sense....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Whittier, CA, USA
    Not really a surprise. All the big saw manufacturers didn't buy the sawstop technology when offered to them because their lawyers said it would automatically define any saw they manufactured without the technology as unsafe. All of them knew this was coming but they figured spending money on defending themselves was cheaper.

If this suit holds up on appeal then it will make a huge difference in future power cutting tool manufacturing.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Ok I won't make any friends with this but did the plaintiff even know that a device like sawstop was even available to him when he bought this saw?

Yes he bought an entry level saw but if the manufacturers would have incorporated it in their saws by now could it have been made less expensive by this point in time?

I myself have been keeping an eye on them to see if the cost is coming down and am very interested in buying from a manufacturer that is being innovative. I would even use a gaurd again if I could integrate one like ss uses with built in dust collection that actually looks to be efective.

Should he be awarded money for possibly doing something he shouldn't have been on the saw. NO. Could he have been awarded the money because the manufacturers refused to license the technology there by limiting his choices? Very possible.

All theses lawsuits will do is make lawyers rich and finally force these other manufactures to possibly develop something that might actually be better than what ss has to offer.

That's my .02!

Midlands of South Carolina
    I was not at the trial, do not know the details.... but, on the surface this seems to be setting a disturbing precedent.

It looks to me like if your company does not have any and all the latest possible safety options installed, you can expect to pay for everyone who hurts themselves? Why would companies even offer a lower cost option without the features?

I cannot imagine how this verdict makes any sense given the little data available - except to eliminate table saw options from the market.

...of course, using logic may not be the best approach for these types of things.

I think it's a logical progression in a litiguous society. The technology is here now, and was made available (wasn't it?). If it was a NEW saw (post SawStop technology), it doesn't surprise me a bit. Not saying I agree with the verdict...