(part 1 of 3)
A couple of weeks ago, I decided to do something about the cluttered and inefficient office that Margaret and I share. I was too embarrassed to take 'before' pictures but believe me that it was bad.
Our office occupies what was originally the living room in our house. About 2 years ago I moved the wall between the living room and the family room making what had been the living room into an office and making the family room into an office. I lined the walls of the office with recycled rough sawn walnut boards and, for a while, the place looked good. But over time, it got messier and messier.
The worst thing in the office was a 2 foot by 4 foot floor to ceiling alcove that I built into the wall. I filled it with 6 cheap pine panels of the type that one can purchase in cello-wrap at the big box lumber stores. Believe me, six shelves each 2' by 4' can hold (and hide) a lot of stuff. Among the items that were hidden were many large format books and brochures of the type one likes to browse through from time to time. We probably own about 200 of these. I decided that I would like to have a place to display some of our collection.
Following are some notes about the project that I extracted from my weekly journal:
2010, Feb 28:
I started a revamp of the office. Here Margaret’s IKEA desk is having a part removed:
It used to quite dominate the room. My hope is that with the pie shaped portion of the table removed, the structure will be less unwieldy. Here is my first attempt at a new position for the desk:
I moved the two library file cabinets out from the alcove and am experimenting with some very shallow shelves in the alcove to be used to display the front covers of some of our many many displayable books:
I’m still working out the details.