Multi-Router

Multi-router

A competative machine to the MR is the WoodRat. Also powered by a router. I have one and there is a lively community forum at woodrat.com in England, where the WR is made. You can get a $5 DVD demo from chipsfly.com.

For a $1500 less money you get the same functionality, and most important, dust collection. I'm just learning to use my WoodRat, so I won't wave the flag. I've only made sliding dovetails and finger joints. But - so I'm told - the machine is the 'cat's meow' for dovetails, mortise and tenon, and other joints.

As an example of the WR's versatility, I am going up to the regional warehouse in California for Festool next month to buy some equipment. But, as excited as I am about their new Domino, I'm going to save my $660 and not buy one. I think the WR will duplicate most of its functionality. I may be wrong.

Both the Multi-Router and WoodRat work as a sort of router-powered CNC machine. Without the computer. Fortunately, their are a lot of folks on the Internet willing to advise on the WR. A huge collection of advice, jigs and WR commentary can be found at aldel.co.uk.

Gary Curtis

I've used a multi-router, I don't know if its the one David Marks uses. I worked in a shop that used it for chair joints and the occasional regular tenon or weird mortise. They're handy if you need to cut a tenon at an angle to a rail, or if you want to cut a mortise in the end of a 6' long rail. The only drawback, aside from the price, is there's this noisy, dusty router on it :eek:

We used to replace the router about once in 18 - 24 months, but it was very heavily used.

John

i`ve used but not purchased a multirouter.....i think they`re worth the money, i just don`t have the money:eek: .....tod