My first acrylic pen

I have so little experience with turning, and only maybe a dozen pens, it didnt feel that much different, used a small skew, took very little off at a time.
truth is, my wife warned me if I touch a piece of wood today she was going to punish me(hey, she treats me like Im 8, even though I act like IM 12), so I didnt touch any wood. Got antsy, needed some shop time, the floor guys are making my adrenalin flow, all those pneumatic hammers popping off and theres nothing like the smell of maple in the morning.

Last edited:
I purchased this blank at the woodworking show I attended at the Bethpage Restoration Village this past year.
I come across pieces of acrylic from signs and things, Im just not sure if they are cut correctly or the right type of acrylic(if there is a right type) for pen turning.
I believe the 2 acrylic blanks I bought were around 1.50 each.
The pen kits were 10% less than PSIs catalog.

My daughter saw it and thats that. I still dont have a pen I made, only the first one, the white oak slimline that I didnt put much finish on.

I wanted to give my neurologist a nice pen today. Im not having luck with the acrylics, so I let them be.
I had 2 tulipwood blanks I purchased actually before I owned a lathe.
He loved it, and asked me what kind of wood. So I told him, the sticker on it said tulipwood from Brazil.
His nurse is brazilian, and she told me tulipwood is extinct in brazil now.
Huh? (the blank was 1.50, sounds kinda cheap for a wood that is extinct?)
Maybe shes wrong?

Nice looking pen Allen. I've only don maybe 3 dozen pens myself. Never tried acrylic. I hope my first one comes out as nice. :thumb:

Just had a thought. There is a sign place not too far from me going out of business. Maybe there are some scraps or something kicking around that I could get.

I wanted to give my neurologist a nice pen today. Im not having luck with the acrylics, so I let them be.
I had 2 tulipwood blanks I purchased actually before I owned a lathe.
He loved it, and asked me what kind of wood. So I told him, the sticker on it said tulipwood from Brazil.
His nurse is brazilian, and she told me tulipwood is extinct in brazil now.
Huh? (the blank was 1.50, sounds kinda cheap for a wood that is extinct?)
Maybe shes wrong?

I think it might be endangered, but maybe not totally gone yet. While trying to find some information about this, I learned that Brazilian tulipwood is family Dalbergia, which is the same family that rosewood is. Here is a preservation site to look for more information.