Finally, some shop time

Finally got some shop time between the freak snow storms, rain and cold weather in south Louisiana. I had a flag inlay kit for some time that I picked up at Woodcraft and some inlay kits that I wanted to do. The inlay kits are really nice but you can't get in a hurry with them. And the blank from Ed, a resin blank makes a really good looking pen. Of all the inlay kits, the only one that gave me fits was the eagle kit, It blew out twice on me but I was able to salvage it and it came out great. The praying hands kit I got for my son who made Decon in his church awhile back. I still have one more kit from Constant, but work comes before pleasure, so I hope to get it done this weekend.
For anyone wanting to try the inlay kits, they are worth it.

Attachments

• DSCN0064.JPG
    DSCN0064.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
  • FSCN0067.JPG
    FSCN0067.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0070.JPG
    DSCN0070.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0072.JPG
    DSCN0072.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0074.JPG
    DSCN0074.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0076.JPG
    DSCN0076.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 24
Nice Job on the pens. I've always loved the look of the Inlay kits, but have not worked up the courage to try one. I just know I'd end up with a blowout and would turn the air in the shop blue!

Oh wow i aint seen those before. The flag is unbelievable. Am i correct in understanding that the stars are individual and each one cut and inlayed or is it just a black line?

I finally broke down and ordered some of those inlay kits last night. The temptation just got the better of me :D

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. These kits were a lot of fun to make. Rob, yes each of the parts are individually cut and put in place.
Brent, glad to see you broke down and bought some kits. Just take your time and follow the instructions on putting the inlay pieces together. And be sure to start out with sandpaper to smooth out the blank. When you do start using your tools to shape the blank, use very light cuts and stop to inspect your blank often. If you need any advice feel free to PM me and I will try to help with any questions

Really nice work. I've made several of his kits and have several to do. They are fun but take some patience to put together. Just take your time and follow the instruction. Some pieces you have to break before you install them, Not to worry it all comes out fine. I found that after the pieces are in place it helped to roll the blank back and forth on a hard flat surface to sort of work them into final position.