My No. 7

Jeff Bower

Since I can't stand on both feet, I spent about 2 hrs the past Sunday sitting in the shop bringing my grandpa's No.7 back to life. I didn't take off all the grime/rust off the whole thing, just the parts that matter. Put some steel wool to the wooden parts and rubbed some paste wax on them to shine em up. Flattened the back of the blade, used a honing guide and sandpaper to sharpen it up (only to 800 grit so far). Then I took a brass wire brush to the japaning, sandpaper and steel wool followed by paste wax to the sides and the sole. Against my better judgement and doctor orders I stood up and put some weight on my right heel (not the whole foot) and made some curlies with it. I just had too! :rolleyes:

I'm getting some higher grit sandpaper thsi weekend to finish the sharpening...glad I can find something to do out in the shop.

Attachments

• p_00215.jpg
    p_00215.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 33
  • p_00259.jpg
    p_00259.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 25
  • p_00258.jpg
    p_00258.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
  • p_00263.jpg
    p_00263.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 27
  • p_00265.jpg
    p_00265.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 29
  • p_00266.jpg
    p_00266.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
  • p_00268.jpg
    p_00268.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32
Nice boot! :D

Bringing these old beauties back to life is fun and satisfying, isn't it? I really sometimes just enjoy making shavings, with no particular project in mind.

Try setting your blade for a bit thinner shavings, and rub a bit of paraffin on the plane's sole. You'll be amazed at what a difference it'll make.

So far as sharpening, I usually use my Tormek, but if I'm using paper, I hardly ever go beyond 1,000 grit. My theory - and I've taken lots of static for it - is that after the first ten strokes on wood, you won't be able to tell the difference between a blade that started out with a 5000 grit edge, and one that started with a 1000 grit edge. The 5000 grit one will just wear/dull faster. Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong...

Thanks guys!

Jim, I think I will just get 2 more grits and call it good :thumb:

Larry, soon as the doc tells me I can, I'll be spinning wood again...but some flatwork projects are on the horizon too! :)