Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: The joy of vehicles On to The F150

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pa
    Posts
    2,019

    The joy of vehicles On to The F150

    Well now that I have the Bronco II on the road I am starting on the F150..



    Man I love owning vehicles, I am to poor or cheap to buy anything very new anymore except the Camper we bought last year. So I try and keep my older stuff going. My F150 ran out of inspection the first of Feb and my Bronco II the first of March. Not really much wrong with either but too much cold and snow to work on them. All my Bronco II need was rear brakes I thought.

    Well when I got in there I had a wheel cylinder that had leaked a little so I said I just throw everything on it. So, new shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kit drums and all just 100.00 +/- change. Not bad says I. Had some good weather so I got all the new stuff installed and called the wife down to bleed the brakes and low and behold the brake line to cylinder was leaking on one side pretty bad. Wouldn't tighten up so got to looking and the threads were over size on the new wheel cylinder. It was a weekend so didn't get part exchanged till Monday. Got that all fixed up and pulled the front wheels justs to look at the pads, they were fine but the calipers were pretty rusted in place so I tore them apart, wire wheeled and lubricated. Noticed the passenger side outer tie rod was a little lose. So another 14.00 dollars and an hour or so and I had that fixed. Called and they could get to it this morning. Passed and after 57.00 inspection fees its back on the road.

    Now for the F150....I have new coil spring buckets to install on it. Drill/grind out 6 each 1/2 inch or so rivets on each side plus deal with all the other rusty hardware..

    And have to get the old motor E350 home inspected, its scheduled for a week from yesterday. Only 3000 miles last year so I hope it goes smoothly.


    I have my sons lawn tractor here that I have to rebuild the front axle for before mowing season.

    I wonder why it seems I never have time for woodworking..

    Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 03-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Passed and after 57.00 inspection fees its back on the road.
    Where the heck do you live that an inspection cost $57 its only $14 here in Mo.

    Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

    Frog Pond Guitars


    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Garry you need to move down here to TN we ain't got no dang inspection. If it starts it drives.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pa
    Posts
    2,019
    Jay
    I live in PA.

    They can charge what they want for inspections, and we have to have safety and emissions. If pre 1996 all they have to do is look and see if everything is there and do a vacuum test on the gas tank cap. For this the emissions test was 33.37. If I drive less than 5000 miles a year then I am exempt for the emissions test. I still have to go to an official inspection station and get a sticker, and they can still charge what they want. If it is Post 1996 they hook your ODB connector up to a computer and dial in. It either passes or fails and the station doesn't have anything to do with it. And it can fail even if your check engine light is not on. Depending on the year there can only be so many incompletes in your engine management computer. As I said I paid 33.37 for this and many places charge 45 and up for the emission test. Only after you pass the emissions test can they proceed with the safety test which consists of lights, brakes, exhaust, horn ect. I paid 20 for this, and then you have to pay sales tax of course. And these taxes are pass or fail although some places will retest for free if you do your own work. I would say that most places won't retest for free. Most places charge 28.00 and up for the safety inspection. The guy I use for this is reasonable except he loves to fail ball joints and king pins.

    Then my motorhomes are exempt from any emissions sticker but most places charge 75.00 and up for safety only because of the size.

    Oh then there is the issue where you let them run out as I did and the only legal way to get then to an inspection station is have a licensed inspector drive them there or have them hauled/ towed. I took the back roads.

    Isn't big brother intervention a wonderful thing?

    Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 03-12-2010 at 12:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Jay
    I live in PA.

    They can charge what they want for inspections, and we have to have safety and emissions. If pre 1996 all they have to do is look and see if everything is there and do a vacuum test on the gas tank cap. For this the emissions test was 33.37. If I drive less than 5000 miles a year then I am exempt for the emissions test. I still have to go to an official inspection station and get a sticker, and they can still charge what they want. If it is Post 1996 they hook your ODB connector up to a computer and dial in. It either passes or fails and the station doesn't have anything to do with it. And it can fail even if your check engine light is not on. Depending on the year there can only be so many incompletes in your engine management computer. As I said I paid 33.37 for this and many places charge 45 and up for the emission test. Only after you pass the emissions test can they proceed with the safety test which consists of lights, brakes, exhaust, horn ect. I paid 20 for this, and then you have to pay sales tax of course. And these taxes are pass or fail although some places will retest for free if you do your own work. I would say that most places won't retest for free. Most places charge 28.00 and up for the safety inspection. The guy I use for this is reasonable except he loves to fail ball joints and king pins.

    Then my motorhomes are exempt from any emissions sticker but most places charge 75.00 and up for safety only because of the size.

    Oh then there is the issue where you let them run out as I did and the only legal way to get then to an inspection station is have a licensed inspector drive them there or have them hauled/ towed. I took the back roads.

    Isn't big brother intervention a wonderful thing?

    Garry
    Garry i was born and raised in PA, most of my family still lives there. Didn't no it had got so bad there.Darn west coast codes.That's where it always starts. Same with the building codes. Being a country boy i'm sure i could still find ya a place that that would give ya a sticker with out even looking under the hood.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pa
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Garry i was born and raised in PA, most of my family still lives there. Didn't no it had got so bad there.Darn west coast codes.That's where it always starts. Same with the building codes. Being a country boy i'm sure i could still find ya a place that that would give ya a sticker with out even looking under the hood.
    Stephen
    Well they don't have emissions all over the state. We are one of the lucky county's that do. We are luckier than some of the earlier ones as they have actual tailpipe sniffing. The "funny" thing is when it started here the officials in charge pretty much guaranteed it wouldn't run over 20.00. I think there might be one place in the county that will do them for that. The official computer they have to have runs about 5 K i hear. And each call to the master site costs 5.00. They all think they ought to get back the cost of the machine in the first few months I guess..
    Garry

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Posts
    4,552
    Man thats some scam they got going there in here in Mo the inspection is capped at $14 set by the state. The only way they can get more is if they find something that wont pass and the owner has them do the work. If you want to take it home and do it thats OK and they have to reinspect at no charge. So in the end that makes the hole inspection game a joke as the shops dont want to inspect it right for fear of telling the home handy man what he has to fix and they get nothing.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

    Frog Pond Guitars


    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southeast Pa
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Man thats some scam they got going there in here in Mo the inspection is capped at $14 set by the state. The only way they can get more is if they find something that wont pass and the owner has them do the work. If you want to take it home and do it thats OK and they have to reinspect at no charge. So in the end that makes the hole inspection game a joke as the shops dont want to inspect it right for fear of telling the home handy man what he has to fix and they get nothing.
    Jay

    Missouri is where I am from. I moved out here in 1984 and worked for a company/gov contractor in Kansas City until I retired last July. I think when I left Mo. it was 4.00 for safety inspection, but even then there was some corruption around the cites. I worked with a gent that installed new ball joints and Kmart tried to fail them. Ball joints were a big failure item when I lived in MO. It wasn't near as bad in the smaller towns.

    I always though I'd get back but now have a Son in northern Ohio and a Daughter in Fl. They both are married and I doubt that we will be moving back to Missouri even though my wife and I both still have family there...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Posts
    4,552
    I moved here from Kansas in 84 and love it here but really want to get out of town and away from all the city people.

    This old farm boy just aint city user friendly
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

    Frog Pond Guitars


    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokyo Japan
    Posts
    15,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Where the heck do you live that an inspection cost $57 its only $14 here in Mo.

    Jay
    About $340 every two years here
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Similar Threads

  1. Woodworker's Vehicles
    By Dan Mooney in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 02:28 AM
  2. Winterizing Your Vehicles
    By Jesse Cloud in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •