Beware of infomercials!

John Pollman

Normally I ignore infomercials and don't get sucked in. But this time I did. I knew there was a reason to avoid dealing with Tele-Brands and anyone selling merchandise this way.

Not long ago my wife and son discovered a new brand of flavored sparkling water that they really like. Unfortunately I've only been able to find it in twelve pack cans. This isn't such a big deal but it's just more returnables to deal with and I've noticed that I'm throwing away a lot of partially full cans of flat product. Well a few weeks ago I saw an ad for "Bottle Toppers". It's a snap on plastic top that adds a screw on cap to a can. I passed it off as I usually do infomercials. But then about a week later is when I noticed I was throwing away all of that flat sparkling water. I remembered the ad and looked it up online. Sure enough you could order online so I did. It was the same old thing that if you buy one you get the second FREE (just pay separate shipping and handling). ;)

They were like ten bucks for a set and I figured that shipping would be three or four bucks. But while ordering you don't find out what the shipping is until you've clicked in far enough to process the order. That's my fault and I should have bailed right there. I placed the order only to find out that shipping was $6.99 per set! OK so know I'm into them for like $23 and change. Live and learn.

About a week ago I started getting "Private number" calls on my CID box. I ignored them the first four or five times but I got another one yesterday so I decided to pick it up. Sure enough, I answered with "Hello" and there was a short pause. I said "Hello" again and then I got a person on the line. She tells me that she's from Tele-Brands and wanted to thank me for my recent order. And because I'm a valuable customer she will be sending me absolutely free of charge (less shipping charges) a beautiful turquoise necklace that's mine to keep and that I should enjoy it. But also that in thirty days I'd be receiving yet another beautiful turquoise item that was mine to enjoy for thirty days to see if I want to keep it. At that point I stopped her right in her tracks and told her not to send ANYTHING out. She then repeated that it was a free gift. I then interrupted again and very loudly told her that I'd be accepting no packages from anyone if I hadn't ordered them. She started back up again and I got very irate with her. I started in on a tirade and I heard her say "OK, we won't be sending you anything then". I kept talking for a short time before I heard a busy signal. I guess she got the point! :)

Whatever you do, don't deal with these people if you don't want to get caught up in merchandising HELL!

John

I hope that your speech out come is what you want but remember that if you receive a package that was not order that you may not have to pay for it

I was at the drug store today picking up some medicine and while I was waiting I saw the "you saw it on TV" section of the store and they had the bottle toppers. I didn't check the price but I wondered if they worked. :dunno:
Don't make a mistake and buy the battery operated dogs nail dremel like trimmer :eek: Its junk.