Born to be Mild - Gas powered mountain bike

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Just thought since there was some interest, I'd post this project as I mosey along on it.

The Fedex man dropped the package off about 3 hours ago and heres where I am so far...

First off, decided I needed a bike repair stand, so grabbed a couple of pieces of iron pipe I had laying around, a 90 degree fitting, and an unused pipe clamp fitting. Took some lumber cut it to 6", cut a wedge out of it, drilled some holes in the wood and put it all together. Clamp the vertical pipe in my workbench and voila! A bike repair stand!

b2bm_01_bikeclamp.jpg

b2bm_02_bikeclamp.jpg

So here's what comes in the kit. Basically an engine, tank, carb, sprocket, carb, and controls!
b2bm_03_enginekit.jpg

Step 1: Attach the Engine
Well, I couldn't attach the engine down really low where the mounting brackets would have worked perfectly, because the front gear shift was in the way, and the pedals were hitting the engine, so I had to move it up the seat post a bit. That meant I had to craft a little mount for the front of the engine. Fortunately, I had some metal left over from a chainlink fence project. This is the part that goes in the end to clamp to the uprights. Bent it over, drilled some holes, used the bottom water bottle mount and bobs yer uncle the engine is mounted!
b2bm_04_enginemounted.jpg

Step 2: Attach the drive sprocket to the left side of the rear wheel. Whoops! Here we have a problem. The radius of the holes in the sprocket is about 1.5mm too small for the hub on my rear wheel. I think I'll just pull out a drill bit, drill the holes a tad bigger in all of the pieces and put it on, but first I need to go inside and take a break for a while. Elapsed time so far, let's give it 2 hours....
b2bm_05_DriveSproketIssue.jpg

Oh, Just in case anyone is interested, heres the kit I ordered...

Grubee 48cc Skyhawk

I went for the smaller engine because here in Nevada, it doesn't have to be licensed if its under 50cc's... And I don't really need the speed, if you know what I mean. Just looking for a little something to put-put around on...

Sprocket, Chain, and Tensioner installed. Time to go make dinner.

Probably took an hour just because my hub was odd sized. Other wise pretty easy...

b2bm_06_SprocketandChain.jpg

Fully Assembled.

A couple more hours I guess. Biggest issue I had really is that the muffler had too much bend. The pedals are just too close together on this bik, and I guess they though the muffler should be able to stick pretty much straight down between the left pedal and the frame :huh:

Well, Nothing a blow torch and a little muscle cant fix. The muffler piple looks pretty dodgy, but I'll see if I can't find a better long term solution.

Tomorrow, I get to put some gas in it and see if it runs! :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• b2bm_07_Assembled.jpg
    b2bm_07_Assembled.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 137
Well, well, well, I think that this post should be banned from this forum:D Now we'll see most of the members (including myself) rushing for their old bikes and customize them with those motors.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You make it look so easy and so good that this will be like virus. I must admit that it caught me. Fortunately enough shipping costs to Spain were as much as the price of the motor so that acted like a vaccine.:D:D

Great job Brent! I look forward to see the final pics, and find out how much fiddling you had to do with the carburator adjustment.

Vaughn that was hilarious and Carol your joke even more so.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brent its looking good and Toni I think the cost will eventually become insignificant as the worm wears on you.

This is exciting stuff for many reasons.....cant wait to hear how it powers up and runs Brent.:thumb: You gonna do one of you videos for us.......pretty please;):D

Brent
I like that and have been thinking along those lines. However from what I understand here in Pa I can't do that without all the inspection registration as a moped hassle..

Now from what I understand there is an exemption for electric powered that is national and can't be ignored by the state local governments..

However electric still adds a lot of costs and really cuts down on the range..

Let us know how she runs!

Garry

Well, Powered up the engine and could get it running and idling pretty well.

Tried a test ride but apparently I didn't have the carb adjusted right. :huh:

Made some tweaks back at the house, and then when I went to go give it another go, the front motor mount that I had improvised snapped, the engine turned sideways and ripped the cable out of the electronic coil! :eek:

So, I'm pretty much done for today. :doh: Got plenty of other projects I should be working on anyway...

I just ordered a new coil, and I found some info on how to customize the exhaust, so I'll be working on the motor mount and exhaust over the next week.

During that test ride though, it felt like it would have enough power if I got it adjusted right to do really well on the flats, and to be able to help going up some of the big hills. Guess I'll just have to wait until next week to see how it works! :thumb: