Born to be Mild - Gas powered mountain bike

Oh that is cool.... better get the bigger motor... :rofl: :rofl:

PRADO-DELUXE1.jpg

So,

Took the carb apart and found that the 'jet' wasn't even screwed in... :huh:
The float was full of fuel too.

So I drained the float, sealed it up, attached the jet and whaddya know? IT runs a lot smoother and the throttle actually works? :rolleyes:

Took a test ride and got it up to 29mph downhill with the wind and 20mph up a slight rise into the wind.

It won't tow me all the way up the driveway, but it sure makes it easier!

Revvin the WeedWhacker

Pull the plug on that and take a hard look at it, it sounds like it is running WAY too lean, needs a larger jet, or a more restrictive exhaust :dunno:
read_plugs_tsr.jpg

The best way to do this is get the bike running, and going down the road at full chat, quickly close the throttle and cut the motor, hit the kill switch or whatever you have. Stop and then, right there, pull the plug and look at it, if it is blackish, too much fuel, it it is white too little, perfect will be a nice tan color. If you are running too little fuel you could VERY easily pop a hole in the top of your piston, bad words will be said DAMHIKT :doh:

The jets are not expensive, there should be two jets, one is the idle jet, don't worry about that, the other is the WOT jet, it should have a number on it, go a size or two higher and try it again! :wave:

Thanks Stu!

I'll have to wait till I get some new spokes before I try it again, but I'm having fun with this stupid little project! Definitely need to learn more about these little motors... I am running it pretty heavy on the oil for the first tank to break it in.

Rob, Brakes could definitely be an issue! It's one thing to be riding a bike and need to stop, another when you are zipping along at almost 30mph and need to stop!

Thanks Stu!

I'll have to wait till I get some new spokes before I try it again, but I'm having fun with this stupid little project! Definitely need to learn more about these little motors... I am running it pretty heavy on the oil for the first tank to break it in.

Rob, Brakes could definitely be an issue! It's one thing to be riding a bike and need to stop, another when you are zipping along at almost 30mph and need to stop!

Heavy on the oil means TOO LEAN!! :eek:

The oil is NOT fuel, it take the place of fuel, thus making the motor run too lean!

You should most likely run it at 32:1, that is what I run most of my 2-smoke machines at, and you get a balance of performance and reliability. I know it sounds odd, but if you run it at say 20:1 (LOTS more oil) then you have to go to a bigger jet size, because you are not giving it enough fuel and the motor will run hot.

Pull the plug, you can do it now if you like, and take a look at the color, it will not be as accurate, but you can get a ball park idea. Check the electrode on the plug, does it look melted at all? Use a good light and a magnifying glass, are there little silver balls of aluminum on the ceramic insulator?

Just looking out for you, it would SUCK if you popped a hole in the top of your piston.... :rolleyes: :wave:

Zoiks! :eek:

I'll be sure to look at that next time I frie, er, fire it up!

I'm sure I probably need to re-examine the so called 'welds' I made on the exhaust pipe.

Oh man why did we not have internet when i was 16. Dang I could have done with all this advice then. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

We just got by with idiots trial and error. :D

Thanks for the info Stu. Dont know why it did not occur to me to look up this info for my garden tools.

I have a old neighbors weedwacker that they were going to throw out which i rescued and intend to fix for a go cart. Trouble is its one of those get round to it projects and by the time i get round to it my son will be doing it for his kids.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a old neighbors weedwacker that they were going to throw out which i rescued and intend to fix for a go cart. Trouble is its one of those get round to it projects and by the time i get round to it my son will be doing it for his kids.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But at least he'll have a motor:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: