Thread: looking for copper tops

looking for copper tops

See the legs on the headboard and footboard. I've been struggling with a treatment for the tops of the legs. I've decided that I'd like a copper pyramid similar to what one sees at the borgs for the tops of 4x4 fence posts. Does anyone know of a good metal worker I can contact.

Thanks,
    Bill

Have you tried your local fence company? Some of them carry them.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Your local hvac sheet metal shop maybe?

The shop I work in has a good Coopersmith, in fact one of the best I have ever seen. He is one of few coopersmith's that I have seen use old soldering irons to solder cooper overhead. I have seen him do it for copper gutters and stuff.

Still I could not imagine why anyone would want to use copper for anything ornamental. The stuff tarnishes in an amazing amount of time and will turn this whitish to greenish tinted tarnish in no time flat. I am thinking you really want Brass, and even then that will tarnish.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I have a friend who does copper roofs and gutters. Perhaps there's someone doing this in your area. My friend gets all kinds of little fabrication work from people who walk in.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Try a roofer who specializes in standing seam applications.

The company I work for has a new building down on the coast. Because of the clientele we build boats for, the building has to look as good as the yachts themselves. In any case, they used copper for all the roofing and flashing and even gutters. They wanted it polished up, but by the time the workers got one section done, it started to turn this greenish/ blackish color. I am talking a matter of hours, as in they would start to polish at 7 AM, and by coffee break, it was starting to turn color already. In the end they said to heck with it, and let the copper just tarnish up.

So later, to match the tarnished copper of the roof and trim, they built a handrail out front. In order to match, they used Naval Brass. This railing was about 75 feet long and the cost per 10 foot length of pipe was 750 dollars. It took us 3 weeks to make and came in around 15,000 dollars for this silly handrail. That was an expensive choice of materials for two simple projects.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"