Advice needed

Rob Keeble

I am looking for some advice from any members that do or have done setting of the teeth of their own hand saws.

I specifically would like to see what setter you use. I see loads of setters on Ebay but cannot work out which one is worthwhile and what is junk. Most are very old.

Any help gratefully accepted. Would like to have a go at sharpening an old saw and then setting it.

I bought a setter because I wanted to change one of mine cross-cut saws to a rip saw,the tool will remove the set if you so deserve, how many people still use a hand saw today ? I ask that question because I could not find a rip saw for sell

if you decide to sharper your saw then a set of wood jaws to fit in your vise is helpful

Sorry Rob the only teeth I set are mine into steak.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Didn't you know when a hand saw gets dull you toss it and get a new one.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Rob the only teeth I set are mine into steak.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Didn't you know when a hand saw gets dull you toss it and get a new one.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

do not toss the dull saw, cut the sawblade into small pieces and make fillet knives for the fishing members, do you keep dull hack saw blades ?

Hi Rob.

Mine is similar to this one, besides if you go to www.lienielsen.com they have a few easy to understand videos about rip and crosscut sharpening.

Please notice that you adjust the setting by turning the ramped washer, that gives you the desired tooth set.

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 39
Thank you Toni. Well luck would have it that i found through your link to Lie Neil sons site a link to this place.

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/

That has ended my desire to buy a set and sharpen my own saw at this time.

Take a look cause its a great site to know of if you have a saw you wish to have tuned up.

This guy even tuned up an old backsaw for Chris Schwarz and he wrote about him in his blog. He took a ogre and turned it into a prince or ...should it be princess just to make it prettier.

He has the machinery to rejoint a saw and will even do a complete makeover and change a saw from one set to another ie crosscut to rip and pitch or whatever you would like.

So now you know where my saws are going.

It was all ebays fault. I bid and lost thank goodness.:D

I am staying away from Ebay. Its far too infectious when you get going its worse than gambling especially the old tool section.:D;):):thumb: