Thread: Finishing up some projects

Finishing up some projects

Day off and finished up a few projects and thought i would post the results of the different things i did with them.

Picture 1 - is a small vessel i turned out of some california buckeye and I really didnt like how it turned out a first due to round hole in the side of it. So today i used my carving tool and enhanced the hole, painted the edges black, and buffed the CA finish by hand and it shined up pretty good. The light from the camera or room makes the inside look white but it really is a dark grey color.

Picture 2 - Is a vessel, medium in size and i turned the finial differently this time. I made the bottom tappered so it fits in like a cork or plug. The finish is two coats of DO and 4 coats of spray laquer. I let it dry for a week and hand waxed it for the heck of it just to see if the finish improves.

Picture 3 - Larger vessel that has two coats of DO on it and ill let dry for couple days and use 0000 steel wool to knock down a bit - then im planning on trying a new product that is made of beeswax and orange oil. More later when its complete

Picture 4 - are 7 small segmented walnut bowls that a friend gave me that he was going to throw out. I put a small glue block on the back and put them on the lathe and sanded them down quickly - being bare wood at that point i just rubbed in really well some of the beeswax and orange oil - they came out nicely with a satin finish look to them and i know they are food safe.

Still like experimenting with the finish work ..........................................Thanks Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buckeye-2.jpg   Mesquite-Vessel-Finial.jpg   Vessel-Laquer.jpg   Walnut-bowls.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 03-13-2010 at 04:30 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Projects look pretty good Dan. Looks like you been pretty busy.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice projects, Dan.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    good job all around. Really like that buckeye wish i could get my hands on some down south here.
    Steve

Stephen...............The buckeye is from some wood i bought and I don't think I would do it again - I bought a couple large pc's and had them shipped ran me about $120 which would have been ok except the wood had alot of punky areas making alot of it unusable..............but what can I say - I usually do not buy wood but wanted some Ca buckeye bad .......ahhh well.....just be careful who you buy from.............I have had good luck from Gotwood.com and they stand behind what they sell............Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................