Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pendants

Pendants

Big one is Ambrosia Maple, little one is a Corian sample block. Both sanded to 600 and finished with Mylands. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pendants.jpg  
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Nice ones Jim. Careful who you show them to or you will be making pendants forever

Look great Jim!
    I like what you did with the Ambrosia Maple.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Good looking pendants Jim. Don't let your wife show them around or you will be making a lot more. Don't even ask how I know.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim, those look good! I like the accent cuts you did on the first one. How did you like turning the Corian? I have a box full of blanks here to use but have not tried any yet. Good job.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Thanks guys.
    Bernie, those 2 are already gone. She has more planned for me tomorrow. I made a large and small sacrificial block, both out of walnut so I hope they last!

Tom, Corian is very easy, but very powdery. Sands well to 600. I used to use it on Bottle stoppers.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I'm still having trouble finding a good double sided tape.

Bernie mentioned 3M tape, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Tom, Corian is very easy, but very powdery. Sands well to 600. I used to use it on Bottle stoppers.
    Unless they've changed its composition I remember making a project with corian when they first released it (about 25 years ago)and we had to use widia tools all the time, as it worn out normal steel tools in minutes.
    A table saw blade would cut only a couple of times before having to be replaced.
    I wonder if it is still like that
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Bernie, those 2 are already gone. She has more planned for me tomorrow. I made a large and small sacrificial block, both out of walnut so I hope they last!

Jim when turning wood I quit using the double sided tape. With the new backer plates I just screw the wood to it and turn the pendants. To me it just saves a step or two. I figured if your wife was like mine it wouldn't take very long. I have about a half dozen to make today.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim, I'm using the double sided "DUCK TAPE". It has a blue outer coating on it. I bought mine at Walmart for about $4-5 per roll. I still bring the tail stock up to hold the piece while I turn it down and shape it.......then I offset it. By then it is pretty well stuck. Then I can move the tail stock back and drill and accent the front.

Bernie....If you screw the piece to the plate...surely it doesn't have screw holes in the back of your finished piece does it???? Or are you cutting that away later???

My backer plate does have the 4 holes drilled for screwing the waste block to it but I then use double sided tape to hold the pendant blank to the waste block.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!