Not sure if this grinder deal is a good one or not but I thought I'd post it.....

Last edited:
I had not idea Baldor's were that expensive. I think I'll continue to limit my grinder acquisition to flea markets, auctions and recovered appliance motors.

Frank, with the Baldor grinder it is a case of you get what you pay for. I picked up a 6" 1800 RPM Baldor grinder on close out for about 60% off. For anything less than a machine shop, it is the last grinder you will have to buy. Everything you see in the picture is a casting, not stamped metal. The motor is so quiet that you can hardly tell it is turned on.

It is built like the proverbial outhouse.:)

Frank, with the Baldor grinder it is a case of you get what you pay for. I picked up a 6" 1800 RPM Baldor grinder on close out for about 60% off. For anything less than a machine shop, it is the last grinder you will have to buy. Everything you see in the picture is a casting, not stamped metal. The motor is so quiet that you can hardly tell it is turned on.

It is built like the proverbial outhouse.:)

Not wanting to debate....well, yes I do.... ;) One of my grinders is a Craftsman I bought from myself (when I owned a franchise Sears store) almost 40 years ago. Still smooth and fine, albiet, not as quiet as you describe. The others I inherited and are two Craftsman and a Skil, all are older than I am. All have cast housings. Runnin' good. Mebbe they made 'em better back then. Dunno. :dunno: Kicking around somewhere in the garage are some flea market finds and a couple old appliance motors waiting for a 'whatever' use.

A friend of mine has the Baldor Heavy Duty Buffer. That thing is serious. You couldn’t stop it if you tried!

I wish you guys would stop doing this. I always see something that I want!

Now this is a grinder! :D

grinder.jpg

:thumb: :rofl: :wave: :clap:

Not wanting to debate....well, yes I do.... ;) One of my grinders is a Craftsman I bought from myself (when I owned a franchise Sears store) almost 40 years ago. Still smooth and fine, albiet, not as quiet as you describe. The others I inherited and are two Craftsman and a Skil, all are older than I am. All have cast housings. Runnin' good. Mebbe they made 'em better back then. Dunno. :dunno: Kicking around somewhere in the garage are some flea market finds and a couple old appliance motors waiting for a 'whatever' use.

No problem, Frank. I was not aware of the Sears grinder construction. But 40 years ago, things were made a lot better, IMO. The cast housing on the Baldor includes the shaft extension cover and the shroud around the grinding wheels. Yours may be the same.

I like my Baldor, and would never have bought it if it had not had such a great sale price.:thumb:

Happy saw dust,