Micro-Mesh

Chuck Thoits

Does anyone have a whole sale source for Micro-Mesh Or at least some place cheaper than any of the big wood working chain stores.:doh:

Does anyone have a whole sale source for Micro-Mesh Or at least some place cheaper than any of the big wood working chain stores.:doh:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...es___Micro_Mesh_Sanding_Kit___micro_mesh?Args=

http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=micromesh&x=32&y=7

Hi Chuck; As a penturner, this is what I buy.

If you are really interested in buying a 12 x 12 sheet in grades up to 12,000, I can give you a place in Canada. It cost me approx. $170 for 1 sheet of each grade.

Here's another one.
http://www.woodturningz.com/Finishing_Supplies.aspx

Last edited:
I haven't compared his prices, but I know Vince at Vince's WoodNWonders sells 3" hook and loop micro mesh sanding disks. He might have quantity discounts. I've been very happy with the products, prices and service I've gotten from Vince. (His blue sanding disks are my new favorite.) He's also got other abrasives (like the SIASOFT foam-backed stuff) that might be of interest to you.

Mac, $170.00 for one 12x12 sheet???? :eek::eek:
Are those 12 yards by 12 yards???

My first acquisition of MM was through a trade. I got a full set of 12"x12". Can't remember how many years ago that was, at least four, mebbe five. Still in use. Toss in washer now and then, air dry.
I have a back-up set of 4"x5", never used.
The key to longevity is slow lathe speed and light touch. Heat will kill this stuff very quickly. And, it works best a slow speed and light touch.
I use only for small stuff like pens, calls, etc.

inches, 9 different grades from 1500 t0 12,000, $13.89/sheet. I purchased 2 1500's, since I thought I would be using a lot of that grade.

Even with the exchange rate calculated in, that is mighty expensive.
I got a good deal with my trade. I traded an old, almost antique, roughing gouge I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale for the 12x12 inch set of all nine grades plus a plastic polishing set (the little foam backed squares) and have been using for about five years.
BTW, the guy I traded with is still very happy with the deal, he loves the gouge.

Even with the exchange rate calculated in, that is mighty expensive.
I got a good deal with my trade. I traded an old, almost antique, roughing gouge I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale for the 12x12 inch set of all nine grades plus a plastic polishing set (the little foam backed squares) and have been using for about five years.
BTW, the guy I traded with is still very happy with the deal, he loves the gouge.
Hi Frank; You made a great deal there! I cut my 12 x 12 sheets into 3 x 4 for pen finishing. They do last a long time.

Mac, $170.00 for one 12x12 sheet???? :eek::eek:
Are those 12 yards by 12 yards???

My first acquisition of MM was through a trade. I got a full set of 12"x12". Can't remember how many years ago that was, at least four, mebbe five. Still in use. Toss in washer now and then, air dry.
I have a back-up set of 4"x5", never used.
The key to longevity is slow lathe speed and light touch. Heat will kill this stuff very quickly. And, it works best a slow speed and light touch.
I use only for small stuff like pens, calls, etc.

What RPM are you calling slow Frank?

What RPM are you calling slow Frank?

Chuck, I'm not real partikalur. About 300 to 450. My old lathe would only go down to 450 and that was good.
Avoiding the urge to press hard and get aggressive is the key. Otherwise you will ruin your MM very quickly. It is (I believe) a plastic product that melts easily. Light touch only. This stuff cuts quite well.

MM source

Just my observation.

I bought the Penn Industries "I Can't Believe This Finish" kit which included some MM.

The first time I put the MM in the washing machine it came loose from the backing.

Never had that problem with any other MM.