Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Nephew the Golf Pro

ABQ NM

My Nephew the Golf Pro

Just got a call from my sis telling me her middle son just passed his PGA Class A Golf Professional proficiency exam today. He's already got his Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, but has been taking additional courses in a program at New Mexico State for certification in Golf Management. (It's sorta the equivalent of a Master's Degree, but has a different designation.) He had finished the course work nearly a year ago, and has been working on his golf game since then, since passing the PGA test and becoming a certified pro was his final requirement. This was his fourth attempt at passing the exam. It has something to do with shooting 36 holes with a 5 handicap...I'm not a golfer so I don't quite know how it works. Anyway, he's now trained to run a golf course, which includes business management, horticulture, and golfing, of course. When he started the program, there was good money to be made in golf course management. Here's hoping that's still true. He's a good kid and will likely do well whatever he ends up doing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Congrats to him!

Great to see people going after a career that they love!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Zushi, Japan
    Sounds like a good area to get into. Golf is a great game.

Delton, Michigan
    well they turned a hay field into one of them green pastures to beat a white ball around just down the street from me and he nows is settin very well they get more than the 3 cuttings they used to get it startes as early as the weather permits and lasts just as long usually april to nov,, the whole family now works there and all are doing very well. congrats to him and i hope he does well vaughn
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Golf is still big business... even here in east Tennessee within 25 miles of my house I know of no less than 3 maybe 4 golf courses... to golf is just a nice walk in the sunshine, constantly interrupted by a little white ball.

A close friend in Houston, who lived on a golf course, said it's a love/hate relationship... you love to hate it, but you hate to love it.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

DSM, IA
    Vaughn, my best friend from growing up went the NM St. for golf management as well. It's considered one of the best golf management schools there is. My friend got to work with some of the best golf instructors/professionals in the world partially based on the fact he went to the school. Congrats to your nephew!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

North West Indiana
    Someone built a beautiful golf course outside of town here a few years back, even started selling lots and building amazing homes on part of it. Just heard it closed its doors. Chesapeake Run Golf course, North Judson, Indiana. Maybe there is a possibility there for him to keep an eye on. I know nothing about golf courses and only been on one legally twice in my life.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Pasture Pool Pro alright tell him congrats from all of us
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Reno NV
    Always love to hear an uplifting story of how someone can do what they love for a living!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Kansas City, Missouri
    That's awesome. So many kids go to school and still come out not knowing what they want to do (guess I did too). I hope he finds great success and enjoyment in it.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault