My Nephew the Golf Pro

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Just got a call from my sis telling me her middle son just passed his PGA Class A Golf Professional proficiency exam today. He's already got his Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, but has been taking additional courses in a program at New Mexico State for certification in Golf Management. (It's sorta the equivalent of a Master's Degree, but has a different designation.) He had finished the course work nearly a year ago, and has been working on his golf game since then, since passing the PGA test and becoming a certified pro was his final requirement. This was his fourth attempt at passing the exam. It has something to do with shooting 36 holes with a 5 handicap...I'm not a golfer so I don't quite know how it works. Anyway, he's now trained to run a golf course, which includes business management, horticulture, and golfing, of course. When he started the program, there was good money to be made in golf course management. Here's hoping that's still true. ;) He's a good kid and will likely do well whatever he ends up doing.

well they turned a hay field into one of them green pastures to beat a white ball around just down the street from me and he nows is settin very well they get more than the 3 cuttings they used to get it startes as early as the weather permits and lasts just as long usually april to nov,, the whole family now works there and all are doing very well. congrats to him and i hope he does well vaughn

Golf is still big business... even here in east Tennessee within 25 miles of my house I know of no less than 3 maybe 4 golf courses... to golf is just a nice walk in the sunshine, constantly interrupted by a little white ball.

A close friend in Houston, who lived on a golf course, said it's a love/hate relationship... you love to hate it, but you hate to love it.

Vaughn, my best friend from growing up went the NM St. for golf management as well. It's considered one of the best golf management schools there is. My friend got to work with some of the best golf instructors/professionals in the world partially based on the fact he went to the school. Congrats to your nephew! :thumb:

Someone built a beautiful golf course outside of town here a few years back, even started selling lots and building amazing homes on part of it. Just heard it closed its doors. Chesapeake Run Golf course, North Judson, Indiana. Maybe there is a possibility there for him to keep an eye on. I know nothing about golf courses and only been on one legally twice in my life. :doh:

Thats good news Vaughn. I think as long as he is interested in golf, he wont ever be without a job. Recession proof in my opinion given how much takes place on the golf course other than golf.:D Hey just ask TW.;)

Thanks guys. I'll pass along the good wishes to him. Although he played a bit of golf when he was in high school, he wasn't really planning to go this direction when he started college. While taking the business administration curriculum, he discovered the golf program and decided that would be a good way to go.

He told me a few months ago that the job availability looks pretty good, but he's learned that golf course people don't get a lot of weekends or holidays off work. He also said he kind of wished he'd pursued a career as a pool player instead. He says he's a better pool player than he is a golfer. :D He grew up with a pool table in the house, and by the time he was about 15 years old, he could give me a run for my money in a game of 8- or 9-ball. I taught him well. :thumb: