Thread: fire hazard

fire hazard

We do a lot of kidding about the fires in California.
    But, this year, many of us may have an unfortunate opportunity to learn just how un-funny such fires can be.
    An aftermath of the ice storms we had a year and a half ago in the Ozarks are the many billions of branches and logs that now strew the forest floors. Even small acreages and lots in populated areas are still covered with this debris. And, now, it is quite dry. If we have a drought summer, I fear, we will have some very serious fires. Of course, this would be nature's way of returning things to normal but the consequences could be devastating.
    There are many places in the various forests where just walking is not possible. The fuel supply is staggering.
    I believe my house would be OK because the debris has been cleared to no closer than 25 to 50 yards. If need be, I could run my generator and have water to spray down the roof or whatever.
    Hope we get lots of rain this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fire hazard.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

With all the rain we've had around here this winter, the desert is turning green. The only problem is, like your situation, that just means added fuel later in the year.

I'm in the process of ripping out a bunch of overgrown junipers that are up close to the house. They call them 'Green Gas Cans' out here because of the way they burn...

I used to like thunderstorms, but now I don't. Every time lightning strikes I'm out with the binoculars looking for where it hit to make sure it didn't catch fire.

We've got a pretty good fire crew here in our valley. Everytime there is a storm forecasted, they are out patrolling looking for strikes...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    With all the rain we've had around here this winter, the desert is turning green. The only problem is, like your situation, that just means added fuel later in the year.

I'm in the process of ripping out a bunch of overgrown junipers that are up close to the house. They call them 'Green Gas Cans' out here because of the way they burn...

I used to like thunderstorms, but now I don't. Every time lightning strikes I'm out with the binoculars looking for where it hit to make sure it didn't catch fire.

We've got a pretty good fire crew here in our valley. Everytime there is a storm forecasted, they are out patrolling looking for strikes...

As far as I know, and I try to keep up with local doing's, there have been no preparations or planning for what could be an historical holocaust in the Ozarks.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ...I'm in the process of ripping out a bunch of overgrown junipers that are up close to the house. They call them 'Green Gas Cans' out here because of the way they burn...
    Ice plant, Brent! Easy to grow and it doesn't burn. It's saved many a structure from brush fires over the years. A fifty foot swathe of it all around the perimeter of your lot oughtta do it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!