Roter table plate location

Julio Navarro

I am building a new smaller more versitle router table. I bought the Rousseou plate and I am about to router out the hole for it but I cant decide where it should go in the table top.

The top is 28" wide x 19" deep, the plate is 9x12. Should it go exactly centered?

How have you guys placed the plate?

This is the last peice of shop equipment(besides the lathe base) I need to make and I want it to be just right.

Thanks all.

Hey Julio, given your dimensions I would be tempted to center it, but there are many factors you must consider:

• What will you be doing with it? If your doing a lot of pattern cutting I'd center it. If your using it mostly for edging, depending on typical board size I might offset it front to back.
  • Will you be getting (or making) any sort of fence? If so, how big (or fancy) will the fence be? Will the fence have attachments? Will the fence fit, or will you need extra space on the top for it?
  • Do you plan on an Incra Jig (or any other jigs or fixtures) ... If so they have space requirements for mounting.
  • How tall are you? How long are your arms? Make sure the bit is comfortably close enough (or far enough) from the edge to make it safe and comfortable for YOU to use.

Mostly, make sure it is comfortable and safe for you to use. Sorry if I muddied the waters, but too many times I've followed the standard ways to find that they do not fit MY personal needs.

Are you planning on making it to the Tampa show in March? Jay Knoll suggested a get togther....... I plan on being there.

centered side to side....scooted as far back as you can to still clear fence mounting...

YUP Thats what I would do.

Hey Julio, given your dimensions I would be tempted to center it, but there are many factors you must consider:

Mostly, make sure it is comfortable and safe for you to use. Sorry if I muddied the waters, but too many times I've followed the standard ways to find that they do not fit MY personal needs.

Are you planning on making it to the Tampa show in March? Jay Knoll suggested a get togther....... I plan on being there.

Thanks guys, centered and a bit to the back so I have enough room for the fence and feels confotable.

Tony, I am planning on it. I posted a responce to the thread that was started a while back. Keep me in mind when you guys make plans to meet up and I will be there.