Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brazilian cherry arched candle holders

brazilian cherry arched candle holders

since it was such a nice day today, and i'm giving the side table time to dry, i decided to finish off the four blanks that i had glued up earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brazilian cherry arched candle holders.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Very sharp looking Dan!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

must be me dan, they look pretty close to walnut,and I know its the leftover from the corner table build.pretty stuff all around though.
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-19-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Those are pretty. Great looking wood.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Nicely done. Those should sell well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I can't argue that you did a nice job but.... (seeing your posting signature I hope you don't take offence... "Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome." I see nothing exciting about your design, although it is obvious that the wood is interesting and the shape is a basic simplistic design and perhaps that is your intention. perhaps so many look-alikes together grouped together distracts from the design, I don't know but Dull & Ho-Hum come to mind.

This is my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to insult your efforts but I think it would be more of an insult to applaud your accomplishments when the applause would be onehanded.

Perhaps it will do well in a craft show but If I were to display them, I think I would not group together so many "Clones" Perhaps one set at a time. Then it may look unique and inviting. To me, they look like a nice use of scrap... not a designed functional art piece.
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 03-19-2010 at 03:35 AM.

"I can't argue that you did a nice job but.... " (by golly, i just love these kind of lead ins) I see nothing exciting about your design,(you should look a little closer, there's 3 of them, different sizes too. if that isn't exciting, i don't know what is) although it is obvious that the wood is interesting(yep, really nice grain pattern, hard to tell in the pic though) and the shape is a basic simplistic design(reminds me of a hollow form i'd seen back in april of 2009) and perhaps that is your intention.(can't get anything past you, can i?) perhaps so many look-alikes together grouped together distracts from the design,(he can figure out a basic and simplistic design, but he can't spot a production run pic to save his life) I don't know but Dull & Ho-Hum come to mind. (post something exciting, inspire me).

This is my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to insult your efforts(here it comes folks, the insult that isn't an insult) but I think it would be more of an insult to applaud your accomplishments when the applause would be onehanded. (i leave this one to the audience)

Perhaps it will do well in a craft show(i hope so) but If I were to display them, I think I would not group together so many "Clones"(oh silly me, and here i was going to display one of this batch with examples of the ash, cherry, and hickory batches) Perhaps one set at a time. Then it may look unique and inviting.(you know, i feel bad about making these, since stores are just so overstocked with them, and are as common as cat hair) To me, they look like a nice use of scrap...(that was the idea! sort of like making something out of an ugly bit of fire wood. i just cannot get anything past him folks!) not a designed functional art piece.(send forth the word! it has been deemed that three graceful arches is not a design! functional? i guess i threw in the glass cups and candles just for the fun of it. not to be used for mood lighting or any such thing. aren't "art pieces" things people put on shelves and forget they're there?)

just my humble opinion....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Gee, Dan - after reading Bill's critique, I guess I'll throw the sets I made from laminated cherry and maple back into the scrap bin from whence the component woods came.... I musta just been wasting my time in making them...

Seriously, they look very nice. Hopefully, they'll be a good seller for you.

I only made three sets - all the same cherry/maple lams - and gave two sets away to ladies who seriously seemd appreciative of them. The third sits on our dining table and the wife uses them often.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Geeze, you guys get your shorts in a wad over a simple Opinionated Critique.

I didn't say they weren't nice looking I was simply providing insight on how I perceived your design. I would suggest you change the "signature" on the bottom of your posting ("Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome.") To NOT Welcome

EXcuuuuuuse me for not providing false praise for your efforts. I'll know better next time to keep my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Geeze, you guys get your shorts in a wad over a simple Opinionated Critique.

I didn't say they weren't nice looking I was simply providing insight on how I perceived your design. I would suggest you change the "signature" on the bottom of your posting ("Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome.") To NOT Welcome

EXcuuuuuuse me for not providing false praise for your efforts. I'll know better next time to keep my mouth shut.
    Bill,
    Whose shorts are in a wad now?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!