brazilian cherry arched candle holders

Dan Noren

Staff member
since it was such a nice day today, and i'm giving the side table time to dry, i decided to finish off the four blanks that i had glued up earlier.

Attachments

• brazilian cherry arched candle holders.JPG
    brazilian cherry arched candle holders.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 92
I can't argue that you did a nice job but.... (seeing your posting signature I hope you don't take offence... "Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome." I see nothing exciting about your design, although it is obvious that the wood is interesting and the shape is a basic simplistic design and perhaps that is your intention. perhaps so many look-alikes together grouped together distracts from the design, I don't know but Dull & Ho-Hum come to mind.

This is my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to insult your efforts but I think it would be more of an insult to applaud your accomplishments when the applause would be onehanded.

Perhaps it will do well in a craft show but If I were to display them, I think I would not group together so many "Clones" Perhaps one set at a time. Then it may look unique and inviting. To me, they look like a nice use of scrap... not a designed functional art piece.

Last edited:
"I can't argue that you did a nice job but.... " (by golly, i just love these kind of lead ins:D) I see nothing exciting about your design,(you should look a little closer, there's 3 of them, different sizes too. if that isn't exciting, i don't know what is) although it is obvious that the wood is interesting(yep, really nice grain pattern, hard to tell in the pic though) and the shape is a basic simplistic design(reminds me of a hollow form i'd seen back in april of 2009) and perhaps that is your intention.(can't get anything past you, can i?) perhaps so many look-alikes together grouped together distracts from the design,(he can figure out a basic and simplistic design, but he can't spot a production run pic to save his life) I don't know but Dull & Ho-Hum come to mind. (post something exciting, inspire me).

This is my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to insult your efforts(here it comes folks, the insult that isn't an insult) but I think it would be more of an insult to applaud your accomplishments when the applause would be onehanded. (i leave this one to the audience)

Perhaps it will do well in a craft show(i hope so) but If I were to display them, I think I would not group together so many "Clones"(oh silly me, and here i was going to display one of this batch with examples of the ash, cherry, and hickory batches) Perhaps one set at a time. Then it may look unique and inviting.(you know, i feel bad about making these, since stores are just so overstocked with them, and are as common as cat hair) To me, they look like a nice use of scrap...(that was the idea! sort of like making something out of an ugly bit of fire wood. i just cannot get anything past him folks!) not a designed functional art piece.(send forth the word! it has been deemed that three graceful arches is not a design! functional? i guess i threw in the glass cups and candles just for the fun of it. not to be used for mood lighting or any such thing. aren't "art pieces" things people put on shelves and forget they're there?)

just my humble opinion....:D:thumb:

Gee, Dan - after reading Bill's critique, I guess I'll throw the sets I made from laminated cherry and maple back into the scrap bin from whence the component woods came....:eek: I musta just been wasting my time in making them...:(

Seriously, they look very nice. Hopefully, they'll be a good seller for you.

I only made three sets - all the same cherry/maple lams - and gave two sets away to ladies who seriously seemd appreciative of them. The third sits on our dining table and the wife uses them often.

Geeze, you guys get your shorts in a wad over a simple Opinionated Critique.

I didn't say they weren't nice looking I was simply providing insight on how I perceived your design. I would suggest you change the "signature" on the bottom of your posting ("Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome.") To NOT Welcome

EXcuuuuuuse me for not providing false praise for your efforts. I'll know better next time to keep my mouth shut.

I didn't say they weren't nice looking I was simply providing insight on how I perceived your design. I would suggest you change the "signature" on the bottom of your posting ("Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome.") To NOT Welcome

EXcuuuuuuse me for not providing false praise for your efforts. I'll know better next time to keep my mouth shut.

Bill,
Whose shorts are in a wad now? :D:D

Ok Ok calm down guys. Let me try and broker a peace deal here.

I think the dilemma here is two fold.

1) If you have been following Dans journey and his posts one would have the background to know they were production shots and were another hopeful craft sale batch of some would have been scrap.

2) Dan I do not believe Bill is trying to be nasty here in any way. He has a point that you might want to consider regarding how you display these on your website too.
Even though its craft you dont want people getting the idea its mass produced craft thereby offsetting the craft element.

Now i think there is another point to be considered by all and its very valid.

Bill is trying to offer constructive critiscism which if the noise being created subsides could help elevate the product. Of course Bill appears to be looking at this from a design and art perspective but we all know that was not the intent. Ya gotta consider Bill might not be following your story frequently and hey your signiature does solicit this kind of critique.

I guess there are times when we post something here and are of the calibre that we seek the elevation of the design and other times when hey we just showing our friends what we have done. Its hard to discern which is which if one aint following the path.

So we are all big enough to put it in perspective and keep the karma around here No?:D:rofl::rofl:

hey bill, no undies in a bunch here, but you're reminding me of the art critic scene in history of the world pt 1. doesn't create anything, but pees on the work of others. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

doesn't create anything, but pees on the work of others. :

Oh, I have my moments of glory. True, :eek: not lately as other constraints have occupied my time, but I keep massing a wood supply and sketching ideas and soon my moments will belong to me and I can produce again.

Perhaps we get some of this Carpenter's Kilts to wear... Hear tell kilt wearers never get their shorts in a wad... (No Shorts)

I have in my half Century of working with wood been Critiqued, Insulted, Praised, and rewarded for my accomplishments Why do you assume that I dont create, because I don't revel at your's? I have looked at your site and think some are quite neat looking, just not the half-round arches. Sorry if I stepped on your ego.

Seems that constructive criticism is not on your vocabulary so I'll say no more on the subject. I have a long awaited vacation coming in the AM and have to concern myself with some serious Me time... When I come back, If you're interested, I can post a few accomplishment... Sorry, never had a need for a web site to display my deeds.

Last edited:
all finished!

spent yesterday and a little bit of today finishing up the run of brazilian cherry candle holders. they turned out a lot nicer than i thought they would.

never needed a web site to display my deeds, our state fair is enough for me. over the last several years, in state wide competition, multiple placement, first through fourth (most have been seconds) and special premiuns, in multiple catagories, that makes me feel good enough about my designs. i post here because i like sharing projects large and small, with people i like.

Attachments

• finished brazilian cherry candle holders.JPG
    finished brazilian cherry candle holders.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Those came out looking very nice, Dan. Personally, I like the simple, modern design. Im sure these will sell easily.