My own cross country tour!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
With all the tours and meeting members posted, maybe we need a tour category!

I am headed to Brasstown, NC in June for a box turning class with Mike Stafford. I plan to leave Strawberry, AZ on June 7. I need to be in Brasstown on the following Sunday, June 13. I will be there a week. I will be headed home on Monday, June 21. I have to be back Friday June 25.

So draw a line from Strawberry, AZ to Brasstown, NC and if you are not too far off of it and are up for a visit, give a holler. I'll post the route as it develops. Sort of depends who I get to meet, ya know!

Wow thats gonna be some trip Carol. Must be all of what 2000 miles and i guess round trip 4000 or something close to that.

Aint it cheaper to fly in the US given the competition on airlines these days.

Should be an interesting ride though. Hope you get to stop off at some family members for a visit.:thumb:

No more airplanes for me if I can avoid it. It would be less of a hassle pasting postage stamps to my forehead and going to the post office! The airlines are hurting. Economy is one thing; getting treated like baggage is another. :doh::doh:

Besides there is some chocolate and cherrys with maple for desert along the way. And a new to me tool to pick up. And a bench top from Grizzly to make a new dining room table. Likely a few other goodies as well. Takin' the little trailer! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Plus, an opportunity to meet some good folk. How can the airlines compete with that? :huh::huh:

My objective to not just get there and back, but to enjoy the trip, too. :thumb::thumb::D:D:wave::wave:

Carol,
I just did a google map from Strawberry to Brasstown... near the end of the route, the map directions show taking highway 64 out of Cleveland to Brasstown... It may be cleared by June, but there's a major rock slide on Hwy 64 between Cleveland and Brasstown and hwy 64 is closed.... you might have to take Hwy 411 out of Cleveland north to Madisonville to connect to Hwy 68 over the mountains into NC... that will take you through Tellico Plains and Coker Creek into North Carolina. I'm 6 miles out of TP on another road back towards Madisonville. You'll have to go through Tellico as there's no cut over from 68 to 360 and I live just off 360. When you get closer, I can route out to my little place if you want to stop by. Dianne and I would love to have you stop inbound or outbound.

Don't forget to turn left in Albuquerque! ;)

Looks like you'll see a fair bit of the countryside, have fun!

Art, That was one of my favorite cartoons....

Carol,
I haven't seen her on the forum in a couple of months, but Nancy Laird lives in Rio Rancho, just outside of ABQ.... so does my younger sister, but she's not a wood turner, so I guess you can skip Jean's place.

Can't disagree, Art. I once considered RV'ing full time and doing just what you suggest.

There were two things that derailed that plan. No RV and no $$$. :rofl:

This tour is wooden as opposed to spacey. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D