Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your screws?

Question Where do you buy your screws?

I just tossed an entire box of borg wood screws after shearing the heads off of three in a row going into a pre-drilled hole in hardwood. They break off just below the head and are a bugger to get out. There has to be a supplier that has a wood screw that can handle more torque than a 6 year old can dish out.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

After getting sick of the having the same problem, I tried out the McFeely's do it yourself dozen package. I'm sold on the quality of their screws.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

If you become a fan of them on Facebook, you get a code for $1 shipping.

Borg wood screws are made from lead.

They are SOOOOO doggone soft you either break off the heads, or strip out the slots.

I am so glad you posted this question - inquiring minds want to know. I do too.

+1 for McFeely's, been buying their screws for years. I especially like their #6 square drives.

+2 on McFeely's even over here in Japan

I do buy most of mine at Joyful Honda or Super Viva Home, but there are always choices, I NEVER buy the cheap ones on sale, and I look to see where they are made. The cheap head poppers are almost always made in China, where as the ones made in Japan, are usually better, but more expensive. I am willing to pay a bit more to avoid the frustration that you speak about.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

i usually buy my screws at home depot, and haven't had problems like that. but then again, if i'm driving into oak or other hardwoods, i usually add a little bit of lube to them first. i find irish spring works best.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i usually buy my screws at home depot, and haven't had problems like that. but then again, if i'm driving into oak or other hardwoods, i usually add a little bit of lube to them first. i find irish spring works best.
    I bet your furniture smells nice.

Lube or no, I still have problems with the borg screws. Never have the same problem with Spax or Kreg screws.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I buy mine at the Borg. I only buy deck screws and to date have'nt had a problem. Now the coarse and fine thread drywall screws will snap if you just think about using them.

The problem with heads popping off is called hydrogen embrittlement. Basically its a plating/heat treating problem. If you are using drywall type screws buy them from a local distributor of power tools and fasteners. They supply the drywall, gc, and hvac contractors. If they sold faulty screws they would lose their customers. They will probably carry "Grabber Brand" or Buildex. Both are quality product.

I've had the same problem in the past. If I have to buy from a borg I look for the "Grip Rite" brand. They are usually pretty good.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Wood screws

I also go to Mc Feeleys for almost all of my wood screws I have been using them for years with no regrets. Fastenall also has good wood screws if there is a location near to you. I am lucky there is a location about a half mile from me.
    Charles