Latest Project

Hubert Carle

Well here goes. This is my next project.

I got most of my ideas from:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6445

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot390.shtml

I didn't want to spend $1000 for one of these soooo. I work with a program called TurboCad. I worked in 3D rather than taking a 2D plans and expanding them. Since the "wood" is all drawn "Full Size" you can get all your measurement directly from the item.

I didn't want to dedicate a router so I got a Duel speed motor from a local supplier (steal at $50) It is pretty heavy and that is why the box is "built to last."

The slides are from Home Depot. The smallest heavey duty ones they had were 14"

I started cutting the pieces today. Will be able to make all them out of one sheet of 3/4 Birch Ply. I will take pictures as I make it.

I have a ZIP file with the .dfx file and some jpg's if any is interested.

What say you???

Attachments

• Multi-Router 1.jpg
    Multi-Router 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Multi-Router 2.jpg
    Multi-Router 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Multi-Router 3.JPG
    Multi-Router 3.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 97
Progress. I finished the rough cut.

I have a very small shop so the only way to cut down a full sheet is to hang it over my workbench and table saw with a sacrifical sheet under to protect.

the pile to the right is what is left of the full sheet. sweet.

Attachments

• DSC00987.jpg
    DSC00987.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00989.jpg
    DSC00989.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 77
A friend at the Sacramento Area Woodworkers (SAW) club told me even better is to buy a full sheet of the hard foam insulation. The 2" kind. Lay it out on your driveway and cut on it. Sounds good but LOML was not keen on the stuff floating all over the place. So I stick to "in the shop." :D :D

Only held together by clamps but :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

As I am building it I have found several places that the plans don't match "real life" Soo I am rewriting the plans as I go. Especially the slides on the tables. It wouldn't have worked as originally drawn. :rofl:

Attachments

• DSC00994.jpg
    DSC00994.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00996.jpg
    DSC00996.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 82
Woah! I finally found a forum with someone I know on it! :p

That multi-router-look-alike should come out real nice. The plans you've made look pretty thorough. Let me know if ya need a hand! :D

Looks like it's gonna be a great project, and real useful when it's done. I'll be bookmarking this one for future reference for sure.
Woah! I finally found a forum with someone I know on it! :p

That multi-router-look-alike should come out real nice. The plans you've made look pretty thorough. Let me know if ya need a hand! :D
Welcome aboard, Jason. :wave: Stick around and you'll know more of us. :) There's at least one other member who's out in your neck of the woods (if you consider Modesto your neck of the woods). Mark Rios, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Hey Jason! Will see you Tuesday.

All you Easteners think California is the same size as your puny states. :rofl: :rofl:

Modesto is a good 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive depending on if you speed.

P.S. Maybe I will be done by the next Sacramento Area Woodworkers meeting (a little advertising) I'll bring it with me.

Last edited:
All you Easteners think California is the same size as your puny states. :rofl: :rofl:

Modesto is a good 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive depending on if you speed.
My mistake (and I'm no Easterner... live in California). :eek: I remember driving through Modesto on the way to Sacramento years ago (driving from New Mexico) and I guess I thought it was closer than that.

Well that explains it. :D :D

Southern California is almost like a separate state.
:rofl:

BTW I lived 10 years in Eagle Rock. That is just over the hill from Pasadena and the Rose Bowl

Fitting the tables with the slides.

I plan to use Deft once everything is all done. I used that on all my other projects. And yes I have a respirator.

Attachments

• DSC01012.jpg
    DSC01012.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01011.jpg
    DSC01011.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 42
I think I got it handled. :rofl: :rofl:

The travel is 5 7/16 inches. That is 54 full turns of the crank. So that works out to . . . . 47 carry the 3 uh :huh: :huh: :huh:

Actually it is a little more than 3/32 per crank. ( 3.2 to be exact) I think that is probably accurate enough for anything I can think of making.

I'm almost ready to finish all the pieces. Plan to use good old Deft out of the can. PU !! But it works great and that is what I have used on all my shop projects and they are holding up fine.

P.S I found out I don't need that "white slippery stuff" between wood frame and "the nuts and washers". When I turn the crank the nuts and washers slide past each other and the "white slippery stuff" does NOTHING!

Attachments

• DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01016.jpg
    DSC01016.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01018.jpg
    DSC01018.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39