Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The mice have been in my shop again

The mice have been in my shop again

Well, actually only one and he's under my eye....

I was doing a really nice spalted maple bowl this afternoon, got it all hollowed, sanded and ready to finish the bottom... it's a 10" diameter, so only way I can do the bottom is with my home made Longworth chuck... got it all set up, the tail stock in place and most of the tenon turned away... but need to finish the nub under the tail stock, so moved it back and started cutting the 1 inch or so nub... the bowl wobble loose in the chuck, so I stopped it, reset everything and started again... my lathe will only go down to 450 and that's the speed I work the longworth with since it's not the most stable holding method... as soon as I touched the nub again, whammo the bowl jumped off the lathe and as quick as I ducked, it whacked me on the cheek just below the left eye... I had taken my face shield off so I could see a little better... I'll not do that again

I'm going to have a black eye tomorrow.... just in time for our 18th anniversary... On our first date, after I seated her in the passenger side of my car, at that time a '72 Crown Victoria with no frame around the windows, Dianne reached across the car and flipped the driver side door open... it was dark enough I couldn't see the edge of the window and it caught me just under the right eye.... first two weeks of our relationship I sported a shiner... I told everyone she beat me into submission... keeping up the beatings to keep me in line
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc. 002.jpg   Misc. 001.jpg  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    man that hurts all the way down here. Take care of it and just think 20 years ago you could of moved fast enough to get out of it's way.
    Steve

you look real sore chuck, now how is the bowl??? and does it now understand french well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I can feel it all the way up here
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Yup your wife still has a good right cross. Bowl hit you in the face ya right.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

OUCH!!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

The only time I've been really hit by a piece coming off the lathe, it was almost the exact same scenario as yours. Finishing a spalted bowl in the Longworth chuck, no face shield (so I could see better), touched the nub, got a catch, and Wham! right in the face. I must have ducked faster than you, because mine hit me above the eye, not below it. Only takes about one experience like that to make you a firm believer in face shields, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

The only time I've been really hit by a piece coming off the lathe, it was almost the exact same scenario as yours. Finishing a spalted bowl in the Longworth chuck, no face shield (so I could see better), touched the nub, got a catch, and Wham! right in the face. I must have ducked faster than you, because mine hit me above the eye, not below it. Only takes about one experience like that to make you a firm believer in face shields, huh?
    I guess we get complacent.. the reason I got a face shield in the first place was back when I first started turning a pen blank blew up and hit me just under the safety glasses (When I started I always wore safety glasses) and nicked my cheek ... so the face shield... I rarely turn anything without it, but it got dusty from all the sanding on the bowl and I had just hung it up... next time I'll wipe it down and put it back where it belongs -
    over my pretty face.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    ... next time I'll wipe it down and put it back where it belongs -
    over my pretty face.
    It wont do you any good if you put it on your wife
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

i was gonna ask you, what did the other guy look like?