Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Layout incorporating posts... ???

Shop Layout incorporating posts... ???

(Stu, you might want to avert your eyes from this... )

I'm doing some pie-in-the-sky dreaming about expanding my basement shop to take over a neighbouring room. More space is always good, and adding a 9x13 bit of space to my shop would seem like luxury. (I told you not to look, Stu!)

But the challenge (I won't say problem!) is that there are two teleposts inside the non-structural wall that I would be ripping down to gain this space. One of those posts is pretty close to a corner, so I don't see it as being any sort of a problem at all. The other post is far from the outer wall, about 64" in. There is a gap between the two poles of about 80". And no, I don't really want to entertain thoughts of moving the post!

So I'd be interested to hear other folks solutions or ideas for working around poles in their shop.

Here are some totally empty diagrams of the space in question.

Pretty much straight down:
    (the top-left door is to the furnace room. That's pretty much immovable. The other two doors could be moved if required, but I'd rather not.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dreaming1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	43765

On the angle:

Name:	dreaming2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	43766

And looking the other way:

Name:	dreaming3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	43767
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Well you could change the one in the middle for a "stripper pole" and get some exercise. I understand that is the latest exercise craze.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Well you could change the one in the middle for a "stripper pole" and get some exercise. I understand that is the latest exercise craze.
    Actually, there is a movement to make this an Olympic event at the summer games.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Actually, there is a movement to make this an Olympic event at the summer games.
    Yea I know, I already got my application in to be one of the judges.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

No offense Don, but it probably would get better ratings if you were a judge as opposed to a participant.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    No offense Don, but it probably would get better ratings if you were a judge as opposed to a participant.
    Ya made me go back and re-read my post.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Have you considered replacing the poles with a beam to span the space and provide the necessary support? That would open the whole area.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Have you considered replacing the poles with a beam to span the space and provide the necessary support? That would open the whole area.
    Bill,

I did say in the original post that I did NOT want to entertain notions of moving the post.

But since you insist... The answer is still going to be "no", for several reasons.
    1- Cost. I have to expect this sort of thing to be pretty expensive

2- SWMBO. Seriously, how would YOUR wife react if you suggest mucking about with one of the main support beams that holds up your house?
    I can just see my wife telling me to quit whining -- I'm potentially getting another 10x13 and that isn't good enough!?

3- Practicality. I'm 6'3". One of the reasons I bought this house is that I can walk throughout the entire basement without ducking. Seriously -- if I had to duck in a basement while househunting, the house got an automatic fail. I can walk under the main beam (supported by those posts) with no worries right now. So I'm certainly not about to add more beams to cut into my headroom. (and yes, I suppose I could replace the entire beam with a steel I-beam. See #1 above... )

So, no, moving the post is not an option
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    2- SWMBO. Seriously, how would YOUR wife react if you suggest mucking about with one of the main support beams that holds up your house?
    I can just see my wife telling me to quit whining -- I'm potentially getting another 10x13 and that isn't good enough!?
    Since you asked, LOML suggested that I replace a 20' wall with an engineered beam when I built my shop addition so I would have a clear 36' x 24' area. I opted to leave the wall so I would have places to hang stuff. I can't disagree about the cost of a beam, but it is an option.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I don't know what tools you have or how you tend to do projects but my first instinct would be to make the add on room where the workbench is and the bigger room would be where the tablesaw and the larger tools are located