Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dovetail jig/machine

dovetail jig/machine

which is the best out there for the price, and the least complicated one for me to use.?Id like the best of two worlds.Im going to be using the jig with my dewalt 626 router
    Im going to the show this week, maybe if they have the one most suggest, Ill pick one up. My daughter gave me a 50 dollar credit at woodcraft for my bd, so I can apply that towards the jig and bits.
    I use birch ply for drawers. Does the birch ply machine well with the dovetail jigs, are they crisp, meaning do the ends split, or crack?
    Ive never used this type of jig, and only used my one dovetail bit on hardwoods.

some say that they can get DT jigs to cut plywood clean, i have not seen any.. my thoughts are to get hardwood for the drawers not plywood and akeada makes a good one and Porter cable makes a decent simple model..the best thing to do allen is go look at them and remember the stuff they are setup on is made to make them work just right,, they are salesman not necessarily a woodworker thats gonna use it regularly.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have purchased the Fast Joint Precision Joinery System #9411 from MLCS ---http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/fast_joint_system.html

shipped and due for delivery this week...

Not sure about the ply-wood sheet... In fact I am not sure if this will do what I want it do --- I want to make some fancy boxes as gifts.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

plywood is going to be a problem for any jig that uses a router.....
    the way to fix the problem is to use backer stock on both sides.
    kinda a pain to go through for a plywood box?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Heres the link for the Akeda one Larry mentioned

http://www.akeda.com/difference.insideyourjig.html

I aint seen it before but noted it has quiet good reviews.

I have a porter cable simple one.
    cheers

Allen you would be better off using solid wwod for the drawers when you do dovetails. I've done mine with 1/2" birch ply but you need to take your time. I climb cut across the board first then proceed to cut the dovetails. I use the porter cable jig and it can be a little tedious to set up. There are easier ones out there. Saw a video for onr that uses just a straight bit in the router table and 2 different templates. Looked rather simple. I'll try to find it again.

I also wouldn't do dove tails on plywood. I have the PC dove tail jig. It works but as said before it can be a bit of a pain to set up.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I went with the Prazi checkmate, inexpensive and it seemed pretty easy.
    After watching the dvd which is included with it, around 5 times, and reading the directions twice, I messed up. I couldnt understand it all day till I watched the video again and realized I set it up backwards. (the storyboard with the slots and the washer should be on the other side with the jig turned around. I am not that happy Im that dumb )
    Waiting on a new router bushing, then Ill give it another try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 086 (Medium).jpg   bed 085 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Allen, That looks like it will be a real PIA. Even the cheapo HF unit will do Tails and pins and multiple dovetails with just one setup
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

when I get a bushing, Ill let you know.