New Old Tool Acquisition

Rob Keeble

Well I could not resist this one. Stanley 71and a half 1.jpg
top stanley 71 and half.jpg
name.jpg
bottom.jpg

Got a real bargain here. I think its cause i was shopping on ebay.ca as opposed to the dot com.

Picked this up for $20.50 and free delivery right to my door.

Can you believe the guy selling it stays about 5km from my home. Was kind enough to drop it off yesterday.

Gonna clean it up and buy a few lee valley upgrades for it.

Given a new one from LV costs a $149 i dont think i did too badly.

As you can see its in pretty good condition ( was gonna say nick but then some of you might think i nicked it:rofl::rofl:) for its age.

I might have a go at turning some new handles for it some time.

This hand tool thing is really a vortex or two.

One thing i have come to realize if you shop ebay and have some discipline you can secure bargains you just have to be patient and stick to your price level and not be sad to see it pass you by if it goes over your limit.:)

I have no idea where the limit is for these router planes but mine was $20.

These router planes work great for routing out for hinges on small boxes.

I didn't know Lee Valley had upgrades for these router planes.

Do you have a URL?

I purchased these 2 users the same day

Thanks, Bart

Attachments

• Router plane 1.jpg
    Router plane 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Hand Tools.jpg
    Hand Tools.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 27
I've got temporary custody of this No. 71. Got a whole box of planes and stuff from my FIL estate that I have to send to my wifes brother. There was some dispute about who would have ownership of this box of jewels, my wifes grandfathers tools, between my wifes brother, and my wifes sisters husband...

My wifes brother though I was more reliable and had me take them home to make sure he gets them. He'll get them, eventually.... :rofl:

But seriously, I've gone through the box and have 'similar' planes to most of the ones in there, and there's some serious sentimental value for my wifes brother, who I usually just call my brother, because he's a great guy and I'm lucky to be part of the family. I've gone through and organized stuff and will pack it up carefully and send it to him pretty soon... :D

From the link Chuck gave, I think this is a "Type 10. Stanley 1925-1938".

attachment.php

Attachments

• no71.jpg
    no71.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
My wifes brother though I was more reliable and had me take them home to make sure he gets them. He'll get them, eventually.... :rofl:
[/QUOTE]
delete picture, no pic didn't happen. what planes:huh::dunno: he will eventually get what planes:dunno::D

no pic didn't happen. what planes:huh::dunno: he will eventually get what planes:dunno::D

Ahhh, Just been a bit busy lately, but I've been planning on making an inventory and taking pictures for 'him', just to make sure he knows what he's getting... Once I do, I'll post the whole cache.

It's a carpenters box of planes and such. Not a cabinet makers, so they are users. There was a bunch of old saws and chisels that got divvyed up in the frenzy of cleaning out the garage. My wife managed to snag me a couple of violin makers planes, a box label scraper, and a spokeshave... More than I deserve I'm sure.

I just put a new motor on a funky old bucket mortar/concrete mixer I took from the estate, but I'm trying to quit being king of the off topic posts :rolleyes:

The old motor kept spitting magic smoke at me. Only had to steal that back from my other BIL 4 times till I told him I was taking it and he needed to back off :eek:

Brent I hate to see family's fight over such things. So as of now all tools are to be shipped to me.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ok so I guess that aint gonna work. We have to go with rule number one. All tools belong to number one son. Oh I should add all guns go to number one son also. Sorry Brent sisters and sisters husbands have no clam on these things.:thumb::rofl::rofl: That is unless number one son rejects them than it's a first come first served.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brent I hate to see family's fight over such things. So as of now all tools are to be shipped to me.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ok so I guess that aint gonna work. We have to go with rule number one. All tools belong to number one son. Oh I should add all guns go to number one son also. Sorry Brent sisters and sisters husbands have no clam on these things.:thumb::rofl::rofl: That is unless number one son rejects them than it's a first come first served.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL Those are the rules we were trying to follow! but apparently, #2 daughters #2 husband didn't get the message.

#1 Son didn't want anything, which was a bit of an issue. We (Me, #3 daughter, #4 son) tried to tell #1 son it was his, but he didn't want it.

#3 daughter (my wife) and #4 Son (My brother, but really BIL who I think of as a brother) were having issues with #2D's#2H who wanted to take everything, and in fact, did take the table saw, shopsmith, and every random nut, bolt, screw, and thing in the garage... I think he has a bit of the hoarding problem....

It was a nightmare, I'll tell you that. #2D#2H was literally checking everything that went out of the garage. I had taken my truck down there to do dump runs, but at the rate #2D#2H was making us take, it was ridiculous until #4 Son started throwing things and I followed suit. :eek: It sure made the dump runs go a lot faster!

Anywhoo, glad it's all over and soon enough I'll send it all to #4 son.

To get it back on track, there were some planes in the box that when I pulled out were still, very, very Razor sharp and could make some find little sniksniks of shavings...

(Sorry to hijack the thread Rob!)

I hear ya Chuck but this is going to be used in my shop. I aint collecting to one day hope to get more than the $20 i paid for it, 1924 and all. There are way too many of these around. Just look at Brent and Bart they each have one:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok Bart seriously take a look at LV here

You will find the spare bits and accessories. As for the fence i think you could file a flat on the base if you aint worried about the "collector value" which is what i will do someday and add it as an extra.