Thread: Sanding Sealer

Sanding Sealer

A lot of you use sanding sealer for your projects. What brand do you use? Any special reason? What I started to use seems to muddy things up.
    Dennis

You will get alot of good answers but I use several things or methods and it all depends on what im doing but here goes..

Mixture of Laquer/Laquer thinner 50/50 or a bit more on the thinner - I think it works very well and drys fast so I can keep working on my finish. Sometimes i knock down between coats and alot of times I don't need to and add several coats or more depending on the wood and grain.

General Finishes makes - Armor Seal - works well also but drys slower - I use multiple coats and knock down lightly in between coats.
    These have become my favorites now but I have tried others and they work fine.........Dan

Note - One thing i stopped doing was using Danish or Antique oil on the lathe and wet sanding, allowing to dry and let the slurry fill in the pores - the reason is because of the muddy type look even after sanding well - I just dont like the look personally............. but you could apply the above with wet/dry and then clean off very well prior to allowing to dry.......I then use the 50/50 laquer sealer to level things ....then finish with spray on laquer - I do that at time and it also works very nicely...................hope it helps
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 03-24-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dennis I use this sanding sealer. It helps with preventing the light woods from darkening so much when using oil finishes. Is a great foundation for lacquer finishes.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...ish-behlen-qss

Also I have used antique oil for wet sanding but wiped off the excess just before it turns sticky. Never have had a problem with clouding but quit using it as I found it isn't really necessary with a oil finish if you use the above. That is the only sanding sealer I use.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,
    Are you using the SS under the oil? Unless I'm misunderstanding how they work, I would think the oil couldn't penetrate the wood if the SS goes on first...

I've been using the SS from the local Borg.. don't know the brand off top of my head, then adding the wipe on poly over that... works for me... but I'm always looking for a better way to finish my work... I've seen some finishes on here and at shows that blows the mind. Wouldn't mind getting my work to that level.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I use Myland's because it was reccomended and I have it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Bernie,
    Are you using the SS under the oil? Unless I'm misunderstanding how they work, I would think the oil couldn't penetrate the wood if the SS goes on first...

I've been using the SS from the local Borg.. don't know the brand off top of my head, then adding the wipe on poly over that... works for me... but I'm always looking for a better way to finish my work... I've seen some finishes on here and at shows that blows the mind. Wouldn't mind getting my work to that level.
    Chuck I use it under the oil. It works with oil, poly and lacquer very well. I think it does stop the oil somewhat if not sanded but I sand it down before applying the oil. It helps keep from darkening the light colored woods.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sanding sealer

Good topic. I use a lacquer ss. Can you still use a Wipe on Ploy on top of the sealer. The Instructions clearly states not to use polyurethane. Will it still take the finish?

Sanding sealer

I'v been using a waterbased sanding sealer that I get from Ace hardware and really like the way it works.Sometimes I finish with oil and sometimes I just sand down to about 600 grit,then beal buff and wax.

IMHO Sanding sealer is not much more thana cheap quick drying finish that soaks in and tgets hard quick, allowing you to sand a slicvk surface and seal off the pores to provide a smoothe surface. Coulld be as ssimple as a Lacquer, Shellac, Oil based quick dryin finish. Secret is the penitrating quick drying characterisitc.

Sanding sealer is after coloring, but you can do a surface sealer pore filler, etc. after sanding sealer...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    IMHO Sanding sealer is not much more thana cheap quick drying finish that soaks in and tgets hard quick, allowing you to sand a slicvk surface and seal off the pores to provide a smoothe surface. Coulld be as ssimple as a Lacquer, Shellac, Oil based quick dryin finish. Secret is the penitrating quick drying characterisitc.

Sanding sealer is after coloring, but you can do a surface sealer pore filler, etc. after sanding sealer...
    In over 40 years of woodworking I have never used a sanding sealer. I figure if needs more finish then it needs more finish so I guess you'd say my finish is my sanding sealer. Never had a complaint. My Dad never used it and his Dad never used it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward