I think it's time to upgrade to some new chisels........

Mark Rios

While making three of these for my current cabinet/kitchen job I had a need to use my chisels; Squaring corners rabbetting for the glass and stopped dadoes for the grid, etc.

111grid 1.jpg

Now...I'm nowhere near a neander but I found that even though I took my time carefully sharpening my off-the-rack Stanley and Buck chisels, I wasn't getting very good performance. At least not what I would have liked. The edge on the 1/2" was also prety brittle for some reason and wanted to keep chipping.

What's the next step up (or two) in the chisel world? I've heard/read that Two Cherries is pretty good and then there's always LN and LV but I really don't know anymore about chisels than the names.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Hi Mark,

I think the best value in a really good chisel is the Ashley Iles. You can get them form The Best Things with the octagonal handles or the round handles. Tools for Working Wood also has them.

When a bunch of my tools were stolen a few years ago, I bought the Lee Valley chisels with the plastic handles to use until I could compose a set of chisels like the ones I had. Decent. Need to steepen the bevels a bit to retain an edge.

But the AIs aren't that much more than the LV [a relative statement of course] and have much better steel in them. Up from that price point are the LN, up from there are the Barrs.

Take care, Mike

Hey Mark,
Agree with Mike on the AI chisels, sorta BMW class. If you want a solid Ford try Marples Blue Chip or the Garret Wade set or LV. If you are flush with $$ right now, look at Japanese chisels.

You can get any of them very, very sharp. Main difference is how long they stay that way.

I have a set of these from Hartville Tool.
44012_clp.JPEG

Seem to be pretty good, they are supposed to be made at the same plant as the Two Cherries. Dont know if anyone else has an opinion on them.

If you want to buy new chisels, then go ahead and buy. You don't need to justify that to anyone. But if you have performance issues with the ones you already own, you could examine your sharpening technique. Or maybe alter the bevel or the micro-bevel so the edges hold up better.

I don't mean to be harsh, Mark, but I've seen lots of workers do excellent work with ordinary tools. Learn to get the maximum out of the chisels you have and then when you buy upscale chisels you'll really appreciate the difference.

With respect,
Ian G

Mark, I must agree with Ian. But then again, it may help to step up to these.

MS-JCN03XX_big.gif

Twisted Neck Oire-Nomi Chisels
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...Product_Code=MS-JCN03.XX&Category_Code=TBBCND

Man, only $2000 for a set of 10, I'd get them, but the shipping would be killer :rofl:

Mark, what system do you use to sharpen you chisels?

I was using scary sharp, with the LV jig, I got a good edge from that, then I went to Japanese water stones, by hand, no jig, took a while, but I get really sharp edges that seem to last longer than the scary sharp, finally, I use the Power Strop that Tod showed me how to make, I get unreal, stupid sharp chisels this way, and fast!

If I nick an edge, or drop a chisel, and bust a corner, then I go to the grinder and then the wet stones again but I finish with the Power Strop

If you want/need some new chisels, by all means get some, but you might also want to look at how you are sharpening chisels.

I've got a 3/8" bowl gouge made by Ashley Iles, and it is a very good tool.

Cheers!

mark, i`ve never spent the money on "good" chisels:eek: .....but i`m happy with both my antiques and the two-cherries that i use daily...i can tell a difference in the quality of steel between the two cherries and stanleys/marples ect.... i don`t treat my antiques as rough as i do my shop chisels and i sharpen them differently so can`t offer a seat of the pants steel comparison.....untill you`ve spent years using and sharpening i wouldn`t suggest popping for the 2k set;) ........tod

Hey Mark,
Agree with Mike on the AI chisels, sorta BMW class. If you want a solid Ford try Marples Blue Chip or the Garret Wade set or LV. If you are flush with $$ right now, look at Japanese chisels.

You can get any of them very, very sharp. Main difference is how long they stay that way.

I have a set of Marples turning tools. They bend just looking at them cross-eyed. I don't know if they are the Blue Chip series but, in my opinion, Marples brand is something to avoid.

I have a set of Marples turning tools. They bend just looking at them cross-eyed. I don't know if they are the Blue Chip series but, in my opinion, Marples brand is something to avoid.

I have a set of Pre Irwin Blue handled marples and they work great to me, they don't seem to flex, they stay sharp. I don't use em every day, and I'm not a real neander. I own a few hand planes to. will I buy a better set of chisels, Not on my short list, perhaps maybe some day but for now the marples get the job done. I also have a 30+ year old yellow handled Stanley. It's stays sharp to. Are the more expensive one better, they better be or folks wouldn't buy them. JMHO