My Wifes Grandfathers Tools

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, in another thread I made reference to going through my FIL estate. One BIL was being a bit 'hoardy' about things. My other BIL, or as I call him 'BFAM' (Brother from another mother) felt pretty strongly about this box of his grandfathers tools. Instead of leaving the box at the house to be pawed over, I took it for him and it's my responsibility to send it to him at some point.

I'm sure there were many more tools in this box, but this is what is left. The ones that I think should have the most Sentimental value are the ones with his grandfathers name stamped into them. I found the try square and the folding wooden rule to be extremely interesting, due to the craftsmanship. The planes are pretty beat. Probably due to kids whacking on them from time to time.

The shoulder planes were remarkably sharp even after all these years. I think one was added later, as it has a different name etched into it.
WEB_DSCN3667.jpg

WEB_DSCN3668.jpg

WEB_DSCN3671.jpg

WEB_DSCN3672.jpg

WEB_DSCN3673.jpg

WEB_DSCN3674.jpg

WEB_DSCN3676.jpg

WEB_DSCN3680.jpg

WEB_DSCN3683.jpg

WEB_DSCN3684.jpg

Brett its a great collection of tools that in my opinion should go on to be owned by someone that will continue to use them.

From your previous post with all the acrimony surrounding the division of assets, would the end user in this case be a person who is going to look after themm keep them and potentially use them or allow the next gen to use them or is this a case of wanting for the sake of well disposal via ebay for more pocket money?:dunno:

I like the tool chest.:thumb: To me its more efficient for the space and access it provides than my huge cumbersome set of draws and whats more it allows mobility.

The BIL its going too will probably not have much use for them, but it's possible his Son might want/use them someday.

I don't really know much about the original owner. Just always heard he was a carpenter. I do know my FIL did some carpentry work for the Marine base out by Barstow for years.

These tools aren't in that great of condition, so I'm not even sure what they would bring, but they and the chest are going to the right place...:thumb: