Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So whats the difference?

So whats the difference?

Between an Spindle thread - M33 x 3.5 & a 8 tpi x 1 1/4" Spindle.

I found this lathe it looks like the Jet 1642 but the head turns. At this time I don't know if they sell or ship into the US or not.
    I have E-mailed them asking questions about the spindle, possible ordering with a 1'x 8 tpi spindle & any other differences as well as selling & shipping to the US.

http://www.warco.co.uk/1642-Wood-Lat...om-Warco.aspx#
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart, only the US uses 1 1/4 x 8TPI, most of the rest of the world uses the M33 x 3.5, IIRC, you can buy an adapter.....

>> HERE <<
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Bart, why would you want it over the Jet or it's cousin, the Grizzly G0632? Those have the stronger 1 1/4" spindle. After shipping charges and anticipating possible service needs, I wouldn't even consider it. Isn't price about the same as the Jet here in U.S. dollars?
    An adaptor will cost, minimum, $40.00.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I agree with Frank. Why not give Sean a call at Tool Nut and see what he would do for a Jet 1642? He most generally will meet or beat prices and most times with free shipping. I wouldn't touch it because of service and the shipping of parts or the lathe would be stinking expensive. Besides doesn't 1200 British pounds convert to almost $1800? Just some food for thought.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I was looking at the swivel head + variable speed & wondering & thought it would work good in my small shop.

I looks like in the $1200-1400 range if I want the availability of a swivel head it's the Nova 1642 or without it's the Grizzly G0632 or G0698 with Zambus casters or just a bowl lathe the Vega 2413B. I know the Jet is good I have a few Jet tools but they usually cost more & I don't see enough difference to cost more. I have the Jet small spindles sander (great little sander), 10" mini lathe (I won in a drawing, lots of fun ) & Dovetail jig (horrible instructions came with it).

I need to be able to move it around & not struggle to do so as well as get the head in a position where I don't twist my back while working with it. Yes I would prefer variable speed as in Grizzly or Jet but $2000 as in Nova DVR isn't in the cards right now.

Grizzly probably makes the most sense because I can drive to Bellingham in less than an hour. You know how it is I just cant get the swivel head out of my mind, it just looks so handy.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-25-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart, the little "" thingy is not a dollar sign. It's the British pound sign. 1200 will cost you about $1785, not including shipping from England. You'll easily be over the cost of a DVR or Jet by the time you get it to WA.

I had a swivel head on my Sears lathe. Used it that way maybe twice. For me, it simply wasn't that much of an asset for sanding, and for turning it was useless because of the cantilevered and articulated tool rest. Other brands will likely have better tool rests than the Sears lathe did, but unless it's supported by the floor directly underneath the rest, I'd still expect it to vibrate more than I like.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Bart, why would you want it over the Jet or it's cousin, the Grizzly G0632? Those have the stronger 1 1/4" spindle...
    The 1 1/4" spindle is slightly smaller than the M33.

33 millimeters = 1.2992 inches
    1.25 inches = 31.75 millimeters

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The 1 1/4" spindle is slightly smaller than the M33.

33 millimeters = 1.2992 inches
    1.25 inches = 31.75 millimeters

It's still stronger.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    It's still stronger.
    And shinier, too, I'll bet.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Bart, the little "" thingy is not a dollar sign. It's the British pound sign. 1200 will cost you about $1785, not including shipping from England. You'll easily be over the cost of a DVR or Jet by the time you get it to WA.

Your right Vaughn but then again I knew that. I just didn't know the exchange rate.

I had a swivel head on my Sears lathe. Used it that way maybe twice. For me, it simply wasn't that much of an asset for sanding, and for turning it was useless because of the cantilevered and articulated tool rest. Other brands will likely have better tool rests than the Sears lathe did, but unless it's supported by the floor directly underneath the rest, I'd still expect it to vibrate more than I like.
    http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4...vision=_latest

I plan on something like the 3 one down from the top in the above URL. I think with some gussets welded in on black pipe & then painted to match the machine it should work great.

Say Vaughn how about those Zambus casters do they work pretty good?

Maybe they would make it easier to pull the tail end of the lathe out & then slide the head down to turn on a Grizzly G0632 or G0698.