So whats the difference?

Ken the G0632 has both a swivel head & VFD:eek::wave::):D:rofl:.

Frank does the 1.5 HP seem like it has enough power? What's the largest turning you usually do. What's the largest diameter turning you've turned on this lathe?

Bart in Oak Harbor Washington dreaming of a shop with a back room just for turning with a roll up door the lathe & band-saw & a pile of wood. Throw me a line throw me a line help...................................................................................................

Bart, I just seem to stay too busy with small turnings to have given the hoss a full work out. What playing around I have done with it, the 1.5 will take what I can give it. It must be in the low range though, torque drops off in high range. Some have said the fact it is 220v gives more power than a 110 of same hp. I dunno :dunno: I'm eletriks ignorant. That's what I have been told. All in all, for the money, I doubt you can do better. The Jet is available with 2 hp but at more money.

Bart, I really like having a swivel head lathe on my DVR. I align my by just using my large cone/point on my live center, keep the head loose bring up the tail stock and lock it down and then extend the quill into the hole and lock down the head and it is perfectly aligned every time. They also sell the double ended Morse taper for less than $20. I find this as easy sliding the head all the way down to one end of the lathe. I teach on a 1642 but when I get back to my shop I still love my DVR.

Good Luck

Alan

Bart,
I have the JET1442 with a 1 1/2 HP motor, wired to 110. The motor on that is strong enough that if I do get a catch it will slip the belt but not stop the motor.

I've only used the swiveling feature of the headstock once... and I didn't think it all that successful... the piece was too out of balance for my comfort, so I took it off, reset the head and cut the piece smaller... the largest I've turned so far is just over 12 inches.