walnut hockey coffee table is done!

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, today is the start of the coffee table for my nephew. it will be in walnut, with 5 displays of 3 league hockey pucks, and the hockey stick stretcher. i'll be picking up the walnut for it later today. he dropped off the pucks and bucks (for the walnut) the other day.

Attachments

• peety coffee table mk2.jpg
    peety coffee table mk2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 78
  • pucks.JPG
    pucks.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
the walnut has been bought...

my dad and i went to a place called logs to lumber that one of his neighbors recommended. the place was exactly as he described it. it's a one man operation. he mills, air and kiln dries all types of lumber. if you want to check out his site, just google logs to lumber. i picked out 4 very nice walnut boards, 4/4 rough cut, 7 3/4" to 11" wide, and 95" to 98" long (this is usable length, as i took some off each of the ends), for a total of 25.5 board feet. all clear, and not one single knot. color me happy. :D

Attachments

• rough cut walnut for the table.JPG
    rough cut walnut for the table.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 32

Here...I brought enough to share:

popcorn.jpg

Nice-looking bit of lumber, Dan. :thumb:

well, today is the start of the coffee table for my nephew.

Forgive me, but I have to ask the irreverent question...;) Is he single, or is this for his "man-cave" ???:rolleyes:

I just know my wife wouldn't want such a "sports-themed" thing in the main living room.

From a technical point of view, I am interested to see how the stretcher is incorporated into the project. Have fun with it!

art, he is single, but the table is to be used as a gift. my nephew is a ref for the united states hockey league, and they are pitching in for the table as a gift for their boss. the pucks in the earlier pic are game pucks from the teams that they ref for, and will be displayed in the table.

busy monkey time again! picked up the lexan for the display covers yesterday, and today it was a good day for cutting. i managed to cut and plane to thickness all the major members today. tomorrow i cut and plane the parts for the display parts. i even managed to glue up the legs before my friend showed up to pick up his table.

Attachments

• legs clamped up.JPG
    legs clamped up.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 32
  • all planed to three quarter inch.JPG
    all planed to three quarter inch.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ready to be planed.JPG
    ready to be planed.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 30
  • board cutting b.JPG
    board cutting b.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 32
  • board cutting a.JPG
    board cutting a.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 33
busy couple of days on this. yesterday i finished cutting the parts to sizes. i did a rough fitting of parts to see how they would go together, and after some adjusting, all is well. today i planed to thickness (everything is 1/2") and cut all the parts for the five puck displays. the planer earned it's keep today. tomorrow i'll be cutting the mortises and tenons for the base, and cutting the rabbets for the displays (shim city, here i come!:D). after all fits well, the first assembly can begin.

Attachments

• puck display parts.JPG
    puck display parts.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
  • hockey stick stretcher roughed in.JPG
    hockey stick stretcher roughed in.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
  • legs and aprons roughed in.JPG
    legs and aprons roughed in.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 32
  • top with pucks in place.JPG
    top with pucks in place.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 40
  • top roughed in.JPG
    top roughed in.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
well, i got absolutely nothing done on it today. i was busy helping my dad frame in the trim on the bathroom window. what a mess that was. yesterday however, progress was made. i set up, glued and clamped the top, and while that was setting up, i cut all the rabbets, dadoes, and such for the 5 puck display cases. i found that the pucks sat a bit lower than i expected, and i will be gluing in a riser block to bring them up about a half inch or so.

Attachments

• top in clamps.JPG
    top in clamps.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
  • top out of clamps.JPG
    top out of clamps.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 19
  • pucks in their cases.JPG
    pucks in their cases.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 31
making up for lost time today.:thumb: got all the mortises and tenons laid out and cut. i cut one of the mortises wrong,:doh: luckily it's one of the small ones, and a nice little plug clears that up.:D i did the first test assembly of the base, and everything went well, nice tight fits all around. then i laid out the hockey stick stretcher, and marked where to cut the dadoes for it. then the real fun began.:eek: after laying out the stretcher, i was going to route the rabbets for the puck displays, but found that when i got the half inch rabbeting bit from griz, the sent the 3/8" one instead.:doh: now for a delay of a few days waiting for the new one to arrive.

with that much out of the way, it was on to other things i wanted to get done. i turned an ugly prototype of a tealight candle holder. that didn't quite work out so well, and i'll have to rethink the approach. then i finally got around to making the box for all my turning tools(so they're not scattered from here to the klingon homeworld:D). then i cut up the spare board of walnut to smaller parts, planed them clean, then finished rendering them down for three sets of arched candle holders(they're just too easy, and too much fun to make:thumb:), and glued and clamped them up. not to bad for around four and a half hours of fun in the sun! :D

Attachments

• blanks glued and clamped.JPG
    blanks glued and clamped.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
  • lathe tool box.JPG
    lathe tool box.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ugly prototype.JPG
    ugly prototype.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
  • with top and trimmed stretcher.JPG
    with top and trimmed stretcher.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 26
  • base assembled with untrimmed stretcher.JPG
    base assembled with untrimmed stretcher.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
  • base assembled.JPG
    base assembled.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 20
  • tenons cut.JPG
    tenons cut.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
  • mortises cut.JPG
    mortises cut.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 20
Another fine project Dan. Way to go:thumb:

Help me out why do you specifically need a 1/2 router bit? Would the 3/8 not do?

What finish you going to put on and when. You gonna do any before you glue up?