Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arched tealight candle holder how to....

arched tealight candle holder how to....

a little while ago, rob asked me to put this together to show how i made those arched tealight candle holders. so, here we go....

first of all, i would glue up a blank, roughly 9" wide (finished largest arch has an outside radius of 4", or 8" from side to side), about 4.5" to 5" high, so that it covers the 4" radius from side to side, and middle to top, with enough so that the pivot hole is surrounded by enough material. then, after getting it out of the clamps, i would draw a line midway across the long dimension, and another line along the long side, with the intersection being the pivot point, and allowing 4"+. then i drill a pivot hole the same size as my pivot pin. this being 1/4", with a 1/4" pivot pin. the jig i use is basically a square of plywood, sawn part way through on the bandsaw, with a line drawn across it, that is sqare with the kerf cut by the blade. then i measure out along the line, from the inside of the kerf, and mark at 1, 2, 3, and 4 inch lengths. those are the points where i have countersunk, and drilled the holes for the pivot pin. after i have done this, i align it on the bandsaw, and mark around the jig for easy repositioning. once the blank has been drilled for the pivot pin, i set up the fence on the bandsaw, and cut where the bottoms of the arches will be, and then nip off the waste parts. with that done, i insert my pivot pin in the outermost hole, to make the outsided cut of the largest arch. then i reposition the jig on the bandsaw, and slide the blank onto the pivot pin, and make the first cut. after that is done, i move the pivot pin inwards, making the second, third, and fourth cuts. after the fourth cut is done, you will have your three arches. one of the reasons i draw the line all the way up in determining the half way point of the blank in an earlier step, is that it makes it easy now to find the topmost part of the arch. i use a small levelling square to make a line across the tops of each arch, and find the halfway point, and tap a small positioning hole at the center point for drilling the hole for the glass cup. the glass cups that i use are from ikea, and are 3/4" tall, and are perfect fits for a 1 7/8" forstner bit (i bought mine at rockler). i then drill the hole for the cup only as deep as the top of the forstner bit. it works out as a good depth. once all three holes have been drilled, i use my belt sander to make sure the bottoms don't wobble, then use my b.o.s.s. sander to smooth them out. i use the 1 1/2" diameter drum for the inside of the smallest arch, and the 3" diameter drum for the insides and outsides of the other arches. then i go over all surfaces with 220 grit so they are nice and smooth. after that, it's the finish of my choice (or what you choose, if you make them), of boiled linseed oil, followed up by 3 coats of clear shellac. once they are finished, i insert the cups and candles, and they are ready to go. now for all the pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 blank in clamps.JPG   02 blank glued up.JPG   03 marking drill point.JPG   04 jig location layout.JPG   05 cutting jig.JPG  

06 cutting jig bottom.JPG   07 cutting jig in place.JPG   08 blank with locator.JPG   09 blank ready to be drilled.JPG   10 blank drilled.JPG  

Last edited by Dan Noren; 03-26-2010 at 05:54 AM.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

the next set of pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11 cutting bottom of holder.JPG   12 bottoms cut.JPG   13 waste cut away.JPG   14 ready for first cut.JPG   15 first cut made.JPG  

16 ready for second cut.JPG   17 second cut made.JPG   18 ready for third cut.JPG   19 third cut made.JPG   20 ready for last cut.JPG  

benedictione omnes bene

final set of pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21 last cut made.JPG   22 arches cut and ready for sanding.JPG   23 center lines drawn.JPG   24 ready to cut hole for glass cup.JPG   25 depth i drill for glass cup.JPG  

26 all holes drilled.JPG   27 perfect for sanding arches.JPG   28 perfect for sanding bottom of arches.JPG   29 arches oiled.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

Nice write up by Burro brother. Going to have to make a couple now that I have all this extra wood.

Yahoooooo, way to go Dan. See now you have another status on this forum, that of instructor.

So you tell that prospective boss you got many skills and he is getting real value.

Thanks Dan i might just have a go at some this weekend. Hey for the spinny guys out there that read the flatwork section this is not that far off the mark for you guys its still got the round element only on the flat. So why dont a few of you have a go? Thats if you can still read flat?
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

One question, what is the overall thickness? Looks like 3 3/4 boards glued together?

that's right steve, 3 - 3/4 to 13/16" boards glued up in a blank.
    benedictione omnes bene

Thanks Dan, I've been thinking about giving these a try. The wife saw the picture of the ones you made around Christmas and really liked them. She asked if I could make her some.
    So mote it be,

Thanks Dan.

Great Job Dan I now have an idea of what to do with all the short pieces of wood I have stacked around here.
    Thanks for the Tut.

Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson