Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for suggestions.

Question Looking for suggestions.

Hello,

First, I would like to say this is a great site. I am more of a lurker than poster. I do more woodcarving than woodworking, but I thought I'd post some questions here first. I have just finished a relief woodcarving in butternut. It's somewhat small, about 6 3/4" x 10". I plan on putting a walnut frame around it. The walnut is cut and ready to go. I've never carved butternut before. First question is regarding finishing walnut and butternut. I was thinking about putting on Watco Danish oil natural on the butternut and maybe the walnut too. Would that be a good choice? Is there something better to finish with? Should I finish them before I glue the frame onto the carving? Or, should I glue the frame and then just brush on the oil over the whole thing? As far as gluing, do you feel the glue is suffiecient enough to hold? I plan on using Titebond wood glue. Or, do you think I need somekind of brad nail through the miter joints of the walnut frame. I was thinking the glue should be enough. Oh, and the last question is should I spray a sealer such as Deft over the whole thing after the oil dries?
    Sorry for all the questions but just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by John Jussel; 03-26-2010 at 10:45 PM.

I just made a bed out of butternut for my granddaughter. Its posted here somewhere
    I used BLO and wipe on poly. The experts will probably know best but I would think that glue would work just fine.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

First off no pics no butternut carving no walnut frame.
    No pics didn't happen
    If it where me the edge of the butternut would be rabbited out on the back and the walnut would be grooved. Just like a raised panel and the frame would not be glued to the butternut but around the butternut. That would alow for any movement the butternut carving did.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    What Chuck said. Any BTW It's about time you posted since you've been lurking for over 2 years now..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

As soon as I had sent my questions I thought I should have shown some pictures too. And yes, it is about time I've posted something. I just thought I have only been woodcarving and not really woodworking I didn't have anything to offer or ask, but I sure do now. I hope these pictures show up ok. My problem is that I do not have the proper tools (other than a bandsaw to make blank cutouts). A friend gave me some walnut today and made the miter cuts for me. I do not have a table saw or a router yet, the key word here is YET as I tell my wife) to make the so called raised panel like Chuck is talking about. What you see is what I have to work with. That is why I thought I would just try and glue it all up. So, the question(s) remain about the finish for this. Watco Natural danish oil and then a spray sealer?

Chuck, you did raise a good point as far as the butternut moving. I am not sure about that. I am hoping it will not because it is somewhat small in size. Maybe that doesn't make a difference though.

Oh, I should say that the dove design is from a pattern by Ivan Whillock from an older "Carving Magazine" I had. I plan on donating this to our children's annual school fundraising auction coming up on April 17th.

If you want to see some other carvings I've done you can go here: http://www.picturetrail.com/chipper67

Thanks,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0459 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0460 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0461 (Custom).JPG  
    Last edited by John Jussel; 03-27-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Great carvings John
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Welcome into the light John

Dunno why you do not consider your carving as woodworking, you are working with wood, which most of us do too, but you are making wonderful, beautiful things, which I only do on occasion, usually by mistake

Can't really add to the good advice you have already received.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Some call butternut 'white walnut'. Bad moniker, IMHO. It cuts and carves much differently than walnut. I like your relief carving.
    Many carvers do not put any finish on their carvings. I won't suggest do or don't. If you do, a single coating of rattle can lacquer should protect well without changing the appearance.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Great carving, well proportioned and filling all the space.

Seems that doves are getting popular around here

My only criticism if I may is that I would have undercut more the contour of the dove, this would cast more shadow lines and make it visually pop out more.

Thanks for showing us
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Welcome into the light John

Dunno why you do not consider your carving as woodworking, you are working with wood, which most of us do too, but you are making wonderful, beautiful things, which I only do on occasion, usually by mistake

Can't really add to the good advice you have already received.

Cheers!
    What he said! Welcome to un-lurker status!