Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one-winged screwdrivers

one-winged screwdrivers

I am OK to use my right hand, but not my right arm, and no lifting. Elbow has to stay within 4" of my body. Right! I'll keep it below my bra line! I can scratch my nose but not comb my hair! I am learning new skills with my left hand and arm! I can live with that for a while, but there are things to do!

I have a bunch of outlets and switches to replace in my kitchen re-do. Turning a screwdriver hurts my shoulder and I just can't do it with my left hand. So...

I have been looking at this at Home Depot. Its $40. They also have a B&D for $20 and a Skil for $30. Each are 4V Lithium. I think it is B&D that also twists for weird angles. I like the pistol grip feature and no twisting the arm.

Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ryobi.jpg  

They should all work OK for you. Good luck.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've got that exact model.

Seems to work great so far. It's even got a 'torque limiter' like on a real drill.

That being said, they work great for general screwdriver type work, but don't expect it to hog a #10x3" screw into wood without pre-drilling for the screw...
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 03-27-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You know, you might want to pick them up and handle them to see which one fits your hands better.

The little skil one I have works great as well. Had it for several years and use it for all kinds of tasks. It's grip is a little smaller than the Ryobi.

But I agree with Frank, With the lithium cells they all seem to perform pretty well and I have no complaints...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

We've had the little Skil for several years. My wife actually uses it more than I do, but it's really handy. Once charged, the battery holds its charge for months between uses - doesn't 'leak down' like NiCads do.

The only drawback is that the battery taks several hours to charge, so once it's down, it's down for a while.

Overall, a nice little tool, though.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    You know, you might want to pick them up and handle them to see which one fits your hands better...
    Ditto this. I have a little Metabo version, I think a bit smaller than the one Carol showed, but the grip is wide or thick enough that it's not real comfortable in my hands. I bought it on sale from the Rockler website, but had I handled it in the store first, I probably would have kept looking. Aside from the grip size, I have no complaints about the Metabo whatsoever. The shelf life of a charged battery seems to be forever. I usually only use mine when I'm setting up and tearing down my show booth display, so it only gets used a few times a year, but I only have to charge it about once a year.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Another vote for the Skil. Mine is a workhorse.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Had to run into town today to pick up palm fronds for Palm Sunday services tomorrow. Couldn't resist a stop at HD. They only had the Ryobi and the B&D with the Li-on battery. The Skil had a Ni-Cad 3.2V. Both the Skil and the B&D had a slip in but not locking "chuck" for the driver. The Ryobi had the locking chuck like my Makita impact driver. Now I can use the magnetic bit holder to hold the screws.

So I popped for the Ryobi. Gotta get back to church prep for tomorrow, but Monday I will play with the new toy. It'll be fully charged by then!

How ye gonna hold the screws in place then raise the drill when using only one hand?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

can you still buy screw-holding screwdrivers like you use when doing electric work