Thread: my new camera

my new camera

Yesterday, my new camera, an Olympus SP800 UZ came via UPS. My 'old' camera, a Sony DSC-H2 is still working fine but I wanted newer and with bigger, fancier features. After much deliberation I choose the 800. I was drawn to it primarily because of the 30:1 zoom lens and higher megapixels (14).
    There are other features I like also. Mainly the ability to shoot a slave flash wirelessly and a wireless remote shutter release. A downside, for me, is lack of an eye level viewfinder. However, the LCD screen is very large, bright and clear. I'm sure I will learn to live with it, even with bi-focal glasses.
    The 30:1 zoom is a killer. At full zoom it is the equivalent of about 840mm with a 35mm film camera. That coupled with the 14mp and a dual-stabilization feature, sharp pics are possible even hand held. (see my test pics)
    The camera seems stoutly built and is heavier than my Sony, which is larger. A downside is that there is no where to really hold it. Gripping the body would prevent the built-in flash from opening. I will get, or make, a flash bracket for the remote wireless slave flash I have ordered. That will be my grip.
    Note the pictures. The first is full wide angle. In the very center in the distance is a martin house on a pole, barely visible. At the base of the pole to the left are some yellow flowers. The second shot are the flowers, full frame at full zoom. This was taken hand held. The third is a 67% enlargement of just the flowers. At this enlargement the pic was getting just a little fuzzy but not yet breaking up in pixels. The camera was $349.00 from Amazon. The extras (flash, remote release) ran the price up some. It was all paid for from sales of pens and other items.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wide angle small.jpg   full tele small.jpg   full tele plus 67 percent larger small.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Excellent!

Ahh, being a gadget freak cameras are another one of my weaknesses...

I'd love to get something like that one of these days!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Sweet! Congrats on what looks like a fine camera. The cropped tele shot sure shows how well the image stabilization works.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Excellent!

Ahh, being a gadget freak cameras are another one of my weaknesses...

I'd love to get something like that one of these days!
    Brent, this was several years in the doing. Originally, the plan was to sell my set of Nikon film cameras with lenses and lots of other expensive goodies to pay for a predecessor to this model. Nikon nebber sold. I was wanting $350.00 and turned down a $300.00 offer, probably a bad decision. Oh, well.
    As a guy who started photography with a 4x5 slide film camera, worked up through TLRs and finally to 35mm, this is truly a technological wonder. What digi cams can do these days is flat-out amazing.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Sweet! Congrats on what looks like a fine camera. The cropped tele shot sure shows how well the image stabilization works.
    I haven't a clue how that dual stabilization works. All I know is it does.
    That cropped shot of the flowers comes out to about 1400mm hand held and still sharp enough for publication.
    Tomorrow, I'm going up to a hill top and take a shot of Stu waving to me from his porch.

[QUOTE=Frank Fusco;210326]I haven't a clue how that dual stabilization works. All I know is it does.
    That cropped shot of the flowers comes out to about 1400mm hand held and still sharp enough for publication.
    Tomorrow, I'm going up to a hill top and take a shot of Stu waving to me from his porch.[/QUOTE]

You might want to put the telephoto lens on for that shot.
    Ken
    ------

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ITomorrow, I'm going up to a hill top and take a shot of Stu waving to me from his porch.
    Ya might want to use the remote flash feature cause stu's 15 hour ahead of you too, gonna be dark there....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Really nice camera Frank!!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Frank

Thats just plain awesome!

Love it....
    Garry

Man thats Sweet Frank your gona have some fun now.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.