First Turning - Mallet

Rich Aldrich

The sharpening station is up and running, not finished yet. I sharpened most of my tools and had the bug to turn something.

I started out with a relatively easy project today. I needed a good wooden mallet for my chisels, so I found a piece of scrap hard maple and mounted it between centers. It came out a little short, so I will probably make another at some point. I wasn't too concerned about sanding real fine, but it still came out ok.

Attachments

• P3270315.jpg
    P3270315.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P3270316.jpg
    P3270316.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P3270317.jpg
    P3270317.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 47
  • P3270318.jpg
    P3270318.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 45
Well Rich, you've probably been reading the turning forums on the web enough to know that a lot of folks turn a bonker for their first piece. I'd say this qualifies as a professional-grade bonker. Way to go. :thumb:

Thanks for the compliments.

Larry, I am not totally gone. I have two flatwork projects that I am quoting this week. I thought this might get a few comments from the round folks, but then like the guys said, it is a normal first turning project.

I decided to go round to fill in the dead time between flatwork projects. The last dry spell was 5 months. I was thinking maybe I could turn some stuff in the dead time so I could keep a little cash flow.

Good looking bonker you've got there! Reminds me that I need a pretty good bonker one of these days...