Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawmill in action

Sawmill in action

Tried to post this in Tutorials -- not allowed -- so I tried here--
    Photos may not come out in order?

This was a B. Walnut log that had a big "S" shaped hump.
    Very little heart wood but it is wood... (my disclaimers)

last photo in this series my iPhone did hit the ground... loud and profound words were spoken!
    Last edited by Paul Gallian; 12-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Continued on..
    Last edited by Paul Gallian; 12-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    still sings!

Looks very cool, Paul. Roughly how many board feet does a log like that yield? Looks like you've got plenty of wood growing in the background to keep you as busy as you'd ever want to be.

BTW, I dunno that this would be a tutorial (which would generally be more of a step-by-step description than a pictorial), but if you'd like, I can move this thread over to the Flatwork Project Showcase over in the General Woodworking area. (It's fine here in the OT area, if you'd prefer, but I'd say it's a project worth showcasing.) In either location, I suspect it'll still get more views than it would in the Tutorials section.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That looks like a ton of fun. I would like to see it in action.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

BTW, I dunno that this would be a tutorial (which would generally be more of a step-by-step description than a pictorial),
    I did have a description step by step but could not get into the Tutorial section.

Here is fine too many words/work to make it clean what is going on in each photo for a tutorial anyway.

Thanks for the offer --
    Ans. to other question

Since I plane my own boards (not for sale) I leave them about 1 1/4" thick
    These were about 10" wide and 10' long. --about 8 good boards.

these are all free to me -well almost free-- taxes on the land - cost of mill and my time.
    The positive side is I really like doing this -- not all the time but when the mood hits.
    This was not a good log but I did not want to split it for fire wood. Notice the cut logs ready to be split (don't like to burn Walnut anyway-- too much ash)

We are going to log the mature trees when the log prices go back up - soon I hope. Working with our state Forester now. 100 acres of w.oak, red oak, walnut, few sycamore tree to be harvested.
    still sings!

Bob,

It is fun! would be more fun if I had a friend that enjoyed it also - To share the work and the lumber...
    still sings!

is that cant hook alum or fiber glass? looks like a new one.. have used the wood ones and seen some like yours..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Aluminum Cant hook maybe a Peavey it is a little over a year old -- I have several others with Ash limbs for a handles..

This one has a long point on the end which allows me to use the mills (frame) to lever the log over.. to dog it down..
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    I did have a description step by step but could not get into the Tutorial section.

Here is fine too many words/work to make it clean what is going on in each photo for a tutorial anyway.

Thanks for the offer --
    You'll notice that all the posts in the Tutorial section have been made by me or one of the other forum staff members. We set that section up to only allow Mods and Admins to post there. That keeps from having comments posted there...we wanted to keep that area limited to just the tutorials. For future ones (or this one if you want to edit your original posts to include the text), you can go ahead and post it as a regular thread somewhere like here or the Flatwork Project Showcase where other people can comment on it, and I'll make a copy of it and put it in the Tutorials area, with a link added to point people to the original thread so they can read the comments if they want to.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    You'll notice that all the posts in the Tutorial section have been made by me or one of the other forum staff members. We set that section up to only allow Mods and Admins to post there. That keeps from having comments posted there...we wanted to keep that area limited to just the tutorials. For future ones (or this one if you want to edit your original posts to include the text), you can go ahead and post it as a regular thread somewhere like here or the Flatwork Project Showcase where other people can comment on it, and I'll make a copy of it and put it in the Tutorials area, with a link added to point people to the original thread so they can read the comments if they want to.
    Thanks for the info..
    still sings!