handgun lovers in Oklahoma!

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
I think I saw a thread about handgun enthusiast you may want to look into getting one of these.

sorry need to post the photos!

I'm just sad that we don't get to have individual mailboxes anymore. I have to drive 2 miles down the road to one of those 'gang boxes' to get my mail.

I'd love to have the opportunity to do something creative like that!

Brent,

I have been back on our farm in SW MO for about 4 years now.
I have had to replace my mailbox at the very least 6 times.
I live way out in the boonies and the kids love to drive by with a ball bat and smash the boxes -- you can drive either direction and see many smashed boxes. I think it may be a well casing pipe next! not very creative but it will hurt when the bat hits the pipe!!

When I lived in rural Florida we had the same problem but not so frequent.
Maybe lost 3 -4 in 30 + years.

Paul,

I have the cure for that. You might have to replace the mailbox portion but the post will be there for eternity.

So far....4 cars including my company van have hit the box. I had to remount the mailbox each time and only replaced it once. Some kid swing a ball bat at this, if they miss and hit the mounting plate, they won't be swinging a bat for a while because their hands will be stinging for a month. I accidentally drove into to it and drove the mounting plate for the mailbox through the passenger door on my company van.....recently a friend of my wife backed into to it. Drove the mounting plate for the mailbox through the side of her Ford Bronco. Each time I had to reattach the mailbox but I didn't have to replace the post. Prior to this arrangement, in one 11 month span I replaced the 4" wooden post 3 times.

My mailbox is a lightweight at 600 pounds minus the pole!
Paul, a real good solution, take a regular mailbox, insert a pvc pipe, generally six inch will fit. The pvc pipe needs to be at a slight downward angle towards the front so condensation and moisture run out. Pour cement around the pvc and let set up. Looks like a normal mailbox. Always a good feeling finding glass near your mailbox! See, when a bat bounces off of a solid mailbox, the rear window generally gets hit by the bat next!!! Try it, have built many for teachers over the years in the shop. My boys know who gets them, so I think some of them set up their friends just to see the reaction!

Now that my kids are long out of High School I don't have the problem with baseball bats anymore :rofl:

Unfortunately, the towns snow plow driver seems to either have a grudge against me or is half blind.:rofl:

as much as i like the well pipe idea or kens solid setup, and would love to do the same or similiar ..up here if you have one that solid and someone gets hurt you are liable for there injuries even if a kid is swinging a bat at it.. something to look into before making a mailbox that may cause you more grief than replace it now and then..actually

as much as i like the well pipe idea or kens solid setup, and would love to do the same or similiar ..up here if you have one that solid and someone gets hurt you are liable for there injuries even if a kid is swinging a bat at it.. something to look into before making a mailbox that may cause you more grief than replace it now and then..actually

I was about to post the same thing Larry, I don't know about here in TN, I see a few MB's smashed on some of the back roads, but I would think it's cheaper to fix a mailbox occasionally than to have to pay off a judgment if you got sued and lost..

One of the cop shows back a few months ( think it was CSI) ran a story line about this very thing... don't remember the whole storyline, but teens were slamming mailboxes and a guy had put up concrete mailbox and the bat bounced back and hit the guy or the driver and somebody was killed.... of course Grissom figured it all out.... the mail box owner got arrested.

The second great rule of life is: The fancier your mailbox, the sooner it will get smashed by either a vandal or a drunk.
I once had the pleasure of watching some jerk think he could run down my mailbox with his new 4x4 SUV. It was on an 8" cedar log sunk about two feet into concrete. He didn't have much front end left after contact. Loved it. :D

I find it hard to understand how law and lawsuits work in US. So someone for the sake of having some fun destroys your property and you get sued if he gets harmed while doing it?

For the same token, a thieve that drops your safe on his foot and gets it smashed while stealing it away from you can sue you for having such a heavy and difficult safe to be stolen, or another one can sue you because your alarm made some damage to his ears while he was stealing what it took you years to earn?

Do you have a picture of your mailbox?

My mailbox is a lightweight at 600 pounds minus the pole!
Paul, a real good solution, take a regular mailbox, insert a pvc pipe, generally six inch will fit. The pvc pipe needs to be at a slight downward angle towards the front so condensation and moisture run out. Pour cement around the pvc and let set up. Looks like a normal mailbox. Always a good feeling finding glass near your mailbox! See, when a bat bounces off of a solid mailbox, the rear window generally gets hit by the bat next!!! Try it, have built many for teachers over the years in the shop. My boys know who gets them, so I think some of them set up their friends just to see the reaction!

I find it hard to understand how law and lawsuits work in US. So someone for the sake of having some fun destroys your property and you get sued if he gets harmed while doing it?

For the same token, a thieve that drops your safe on his foot and gets it smashed while stealing it away from you can sue you for having such a heavy and difficult safe to be stolen, or another one can sue you because your alarm made some damage to his ears while he was stealing what it took you years to earn?

To answer your question, unfortunately, yes. A thief who is hurt while robbing someone can sue. He may not win a judgment, but he can still sue and make the real victim's life a mess. :rolleyes:

I'd heard the story about the kids out mailbox batting, hit the stealth solid box, bat broke, the loose end hit another kid in the backseat in the head and killed him. Homeowner tried for manslaughter. Not sued - tried in criminal court. I thought it was an urban legend, but maybe not.

Mailbox

Mine got smashed 3 days in a row a couple weeks ago. Called the police, but not much they can really do. I searched the web and found out it can be up to a $250,000 fine and up to 3 years in jail if caught and convicted.

do the local police handle this type of crime or ask the post office police to take over

I have heard of a guy who got tired of smashed mailboxes. He took 2 standard metal mail boxes, one larger than the other, and set the smaller of the 2 inside the larger. He then filled the space with cement. Found broken bats laying in the road after that. :D The lawsuit stuff is sure troublesome. We had a spate of that going on for a while. The kids got caught and their dads were sure mad when they had to pay for many broken mailboxes. The kids got a lot of community service out of the deal.