With a price like that, we could not resist!

Stuart Ablett

The other day I was down at the electronics store, shopping for a new case for my iPhone, my daughter had one of these soft silicone cases, I don't like it, too grippy, I keep my cell on a string around my neck, because I broke a few by dropping them, and I keep it in the front shirt pocket. The grippy silicone case fails on the no strap front, and it never want to get into or out of my shirt pocket. :rolleyes:

While at the electronics store, I walked through the Apple Store part of it, to drool a bit. I've wanted an iMac for the house for a while, but could not swing it price wise. The older PC we have has been slowly dying, sometimes it just shutdown for no known reason, other times every pixel on the screen decides to run to the corners screaming :dunno:

Well the store was offering a deal on getting the FTTH or FLETS as they call it here in Japan, two year contract, first two months free, and you get $350 off the price of a Mac, and another $50 of the 3 year Apple Care plan, total of $400 of the price of a Mac. The deal ended today, and we go it. :thumb:

old_pc.jpg
The tired old PC with a 15" screen.

new_imac.jpg
The new 21.5" iMac :thumb:

This thing is sweet, so much nicer to look at and the Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard are really cool too!

I thought I'd be working on my bicycle restoration today....... NOT :D :thumb:

Cheers!

Congrats, Stu.

The magic mouse is fun, but it has one glaring problem -- without a clickable scroll wheel you can't use it with Sketchup. :mad:

I encourage you to check out "iPhoto Library Manager". It's a great freeware companion to iPhoto.

Also if you download "VirtualBox" (again, free) you can install WinXP inside virtual box for those times that you absolutely must run some old Windows program.

...art

Congrats, Stu.

The magic mouse is fun, but it has one glaring problem -- without a clickable scroll wheel you can't use it with Sketchup. :mad:

I encourage you to check out "iPhoto Library Manager". It's a great freeware companion to iPhoto.

Also if you download "VirtualBox" (again, free) you can install WinXP inside virtual box for those times that you absolutely must run some old Windows program.

...art

Really, darn it :doh:

I was just on Skype, talking to Dave and he asked me if it would work for that, but I did not know.... yet..... :(

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a mouse just for SU :dunno:

Really, darn it :doh:

I was just on Skype, talking to Dave and he asked me if it would work for that, but I did not know.... yet..... :(

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a mouse just for SU :dunno:

On the upside, any USB scroll-wheel mouse will do. You can probably find one for peanuts. Not only that, but since it is USB you can just plug it in and forget about it back there behind the mac, and just reach for it and pull it forward when you need it.

...art

ps: Victor, personally I made sure I asked for the "regular" kbd when I bought my mac. It's no difference in cost, but you need to ask at purchase time. I prefer the full size kbd, as I do use the number pad on occasion, but most because I don't want more batteries!

Congrats Stu!

Our new computer delivered Tuesday and I just got it online. I got a 24" flatpanel. Much nicer than the 7 years old computer we had, though it was a screamer when we bought it 7 years ago. As my wife is an amateur photographer/videographer when I have one built it's spendy as I get more h/p so she can use it for her hobbies.

Congrats, Stu. :thumb:

On the upside, any USB scroll-wheel mouse will do...

Not quite any will work. I've got a Microsoft "Comfort Optical Mouse 3000" with a clickable scroll wheel that's also got side-to-side features, and despite trying all the drivers I can find, I can't get the mouse to send a scroll wheel click that Sketchup can recognize. There are keyboard commands that provide the same functions (like orbiting a piece) but it's a royal pain.

Art,

I hear you, but I've been using a laptop with a USB 10-key for so long now I don't remember what a full size keyboard is like anymore. I never actually used my nephews mac mini keyboard... just thought it was pretty sleek and sophisticated looking. But, really, getting into a discussion of the pros and cons of various keyboards may lead us into a 'matte vs shiny' kinda thing and I don't even want to go there. :)

Victor

ps Chuck, can you see a little of the captain in me yet? ;)

OK, I looked it up. A computer. (envision a big yawn here ;) ) I'm not an Apple/Mac fan. Congrats anyway, Stu.
Besides, I have little interest in trying to keep track of iMac/iPod or many of the other current geek speek phrases.
I still haven't gotten past BAT or FAT. Do believe I understand bits/bites/and bytes. :rolleyes:
But (drum rools and hallelujahs here) the newly announced iPad has my attention. Big time. Beyond amazing.
This could really keep my feet warm at rendezvous. ;)